Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Robb66 (View Post)
They are trying to expand a little bit until George gets book 6 finished.

hmm, I dunno .. imo, they have plenty of material in the existing books to carry them easily another 5 seasons if they were interested in keeping to the source.
Instead, they aren't expanding - they're re-writing.

New! Benedict Cumberbatch Forum

~Sherry | avi by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Lutesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutesse (View Post)
hmm, I dunno .. imo, they have plenty of material in the existing books to carry them easily another 5 seasons if they were interested in keeping to the source.
Instead, they aren't expanding - they're re-writing.
I felt like they finished Bran's storyline too early. I heard that Issac was or was not coming back long with Kristin.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Agree .. I was very disappointed in the treatment of Bran's journey - especially the omission of Coldhands.

I've heard both ways about Isaac, too. Perhaps we'll see him beginning to take Bloodraven's place, or looking out of the trees? What about Hodor and Meera?

IMO, it's the magical elements in the books that make them so special; yet the HBO showrunners apparently don't appreciate that aspect of the stories.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Extreme Fan

Apparently they also don't appreciate the idea of establishing new major and important characters and feel that unless an already established character is there to help it along nobody will care.
Northern_xTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, Northy. That, too. D&S are on record saying they already have too many characters. The introduction of new ones will be kept to a minimum.
Which is why I have doubts the Iron Islanders will have any significant part to play in the series.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Extreme Fan

I know, it's just annoying that pretty much central Westeros, Dany, and The Wall are essentially the "be all an end all", when that almost criminally undermines the quality of, and how good other places in the series can be.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

The showrunners have cherrypicked the parts they like. I mean, they said they'd be happy if they just got to do the RW .. I don't think they were particularly interested in books 4 & 5. In fact, I suspect "bored" with them.

Perhaps D&D concentrate on Dany and The Wall because GRRM told them that Dany and Jon ARE the end-all - Fire and Ice - so they feel they can skip most of the narrative that takes the story there.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Extreme Fan

He might have, but if that were the case...why would GRRM spend an entire book without either of them? It seems like it would be pretty counterproductive of him to spend a lot of time in the books writing and building up all of these characters and stories, only to be like "yeah, none of that is ever going to be important". It's sort of like "if not, then why write so much on them?".
Old 10-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Agree .. I was very disappointed in the treatment of Bran's journey - especially the omission of Coldhands.

I've heard both ways about Isaac, too. Perhaps we'll see him beginning to take Bloodraven's place, or looking out of the trees? What about Hodor and Meera?

IMO, it's the magical elements in the books that make them so special; yet the HBO showrunners apparently don't appreciate that aspect of the stories.
I hope they don't cut out our zombie lady.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_xTC (View Post)
He might have, but if that were the case...why would GRRM spend an entire book without either of them? It seems like it would be pretty counterproductive of him to spend a lot of time in the books writing and building up all of these characters and stories, only to be like "yeah, none of that is ever going to be important". It's sort of like "if not, then why write so much on them?".
As I understand it, books 4 and 5 were written as one. It was too big to publish that way, so his editor suggested dividing it by characters rather than timeline.
Not stating a fact, that's just what I read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Robb66 (View Post)
I hope they don't cut out our zombie lady.
At this point, I will be very surprised if we get Lady Stoneheart.
But we can hope!

Old 10-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
As I understand it, books 4 and 5 were written as one. It was too big to publish that way, so his editor suggested dividing it by characters rather than timeline.
Not stating a fact, that's just what I read.

At this point, I will be very surprised if we get Lady Stoneheart.
But we can hope!
She was supposed to revealed at the end of last season. I can understand that Michelle has a busy career. We can hope for Lady Stoneheart.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

LS may be too "magical" for the GoT writers. They don't mind zombies (wights) and White Walkers, but re-animated corpses like LS and Coldhands who can interact with people may be too much for them.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
LS may be too "magical" for the GoT writers. They don't mind zombies (wights) and White Walkers, but re-animated corpses like LS and Coldhands who can interact with people may be too much for them.
Oh look, we can have the white walkers turn a little baby wildling into an ice baby, but we can't have Lady Stoneheart and Coldhands helping people out.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yup. Priorities, you know.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:18 PM
Extreme Fan

Also, don't forget that it's perfectly fine for there to be that Child of the Forest throwing fireballs at Wights like it's some kind of anime.
Reply   Post New Thread