New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2019, 10:48 PM
Extreme Fan

What the heck did I just watch?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:35 AM
Part-Time Fan

I just finished watching it and I'm not sure how I managed to stay awake, I was honestly so bored by it. Here's what I gathered:

There was zero chemistry between this Max and Liz and Nathan played Max so wooden, it almost made him seem creepy.

At this point, I find the alien trio unlikable. They're almost villain-like; I'm not sure I like the way they seem to be implying that Isobel was the reason Liz left and that she erased her memories. And this Michael lacks any charm and just comes across as a straight up, unapologetic jerk for the sake of being a jerk.

One episode in and I already can't stand the flashbacks. If those become as central to the plot as I'm lead to believe, it'll become unbearable.

Maria got even less screen time here than she had in the pilot script. She still never even got a character profile released. Poor Maria and poor Heather Hemmens.

Jeanine did a surprisingly decent job with Liz, but I'm still having trouble with the rest of the cast. Though I did like Arturo and Sheriff Valenti for the few glimpses we had of her.

All in all, this pilot did nothing for me. It's not making it easy for me to want to sample anymore episodes (even though I will in hopes that things start gelling better). I expected the worst and while it wasn't the worst thing ever, it wasn't anything special. The original pilot sucked me in instantly and this one had me struggling. And since I watched the original pilot again on Monday in preparation for this, it was fresh in my mind. It was glaringly obvious what this new one lacked and that was charm and heart.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:30 AM
Addicted Fan

I don’t have the stomach to watch. I Must stand with my 12 year-old self and not watch ever!
Snooki (yes from jersey shore) honest commentary on Instagram while watching unboot/reboot was on point.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 PM
Moderator Support Team

My thing with this is.. they made Max so overdramatic saving Liz. Like I don't even think it took all that when Jason Behr Max dissolved the bullet out of Liz.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:53 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Beth (View Post)
What the heck did I just watch?
This sums it up perfectually! I thought of the same thing when I saw the reboot at New York Comic Con! What a disaster!

I am so glad that now we can all talk about this and not be spoiler free.

Come here to vent, rant, and express anything you are feeling on this thread!

Here It's a "Safe Space" get it to say what you feel!

Next title thread Because we need a Safe Space to get us though this reboot.
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 01-16-2019, 11:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell 10/2/00 (View Post)
Maria is an after thought in the new reboot. She is introduced 20 minutes into the episode and dose not have the same impact like our Maria did. majandra really made that character her own.

The chemistry among the whole cast is so flat. I don't understand what the panel was talking about at the New York Comic Con talk when they said the cast was oozing chemistry of the cast and of their new Max and Liz. They at one point said the chemistry was better between their Max and Liz then the original. Sorry on one can top the chemistry of the original Max and Liz.

I hate how there is no Maria and Michael couple in the reboot. Michael is gay and gets with Alex.

It's a shame how they destroyed our beloved show. It's not even somewhat close to the original or to the books. I read the Roswell High books I this is a far cry from the Roswell High books they say they are basing the new show on. I mean I understand you have to change somethings but they changed it so much and doesn't even have the books same essence. It doesn't make any sense to have them older and in their late 20's. Plus the pilot is so chopped up with the flashbacks that it is hard to figure out what time zone you are in.

I really hope it is another Star Crossed that only last 13 episodes. I hope this show never makes it past the pilot.

I also love that it will be on Tuesday nights at 9PM.

So many people watch ABC Comedy shows, NCIS on CBS, and This is Us on NBC during that time slot.

I know I love This Is Us.

So hopefully the ratings will not be high.
Well no need to wish that it is canceled, just dont watch it.
I am sure someone will like it, that is true of any new show.

I didnt know michael and alex will be gay, so that is a negative to me.
Mara is a black girl?
sherrif valenti is now a woman who was his wife?

I dont like reboots that change former characters race or gender.

I watched the pilot, and it was as you guys say no chemistry or likable characters.

I did like the girl playing liz, and she did ok with that.

Thing is the orginal cast fit the characters they played, and all of them had a charisma that is lacking in todays actors, and in this show.

I will keep watching for awhile, it is kinda funny to see what they do with it,
but so far it is pretty bad .

I agree that the shooting of liz scene with no one there and at night was stupid
and lacked tension, and it was overkill on the healing, and the handprint
was multicolored lol.

but hey it was fun to see this liz in the waitress outfit which was the same.

I wonder if their will be any "dupes" in this show, like we had in 2x08?
That would be fun, and will max be a king and want to go home?
will there be a Tess?? a nasedo?

So yeah no way it could be as good as original, but still could be amusing to watch and then if it does get canceled we wont care.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

I liked the pilot. I thought it was decent. It gave me old Roswell vibes but brought something new -ish to the table.

I agree that Nathan is super wooden. I love Nathan a lot but they need to loosen him up a lot. I get that Max was similar but he had more of the "alien" thing going where as this one just feels like your average human so I need him to be a bit more lively.

Jeanine did a great job imo and was likable and I think she has chemistry with Nathan but they were just SO CHEESEY and over the top. Again, the original ML were too at times but it felt less forced to me. In this case, some of the lines and all the looks were just too much for my taste. But at least they didnt kiss. I was yelling at my tv "dont kiss!" because it would have ruined things. I need some angst people.

We got little to no Maria which bugged me because shes my favorite. I like the change and that we have a more diverse cast, but Maria didnt have much humor, which is like, one of my favorite things about the original Maria. Plus I sort of hate they took away the M/M ship since they were my otp. Michael/Maria could have been cute.

I love Isobel (though I dont love that she is married) and Michael already. I think they were great characters and didnt feel too forced on me and seemed very fitting to their original characters.

I like Michael/Alex, dont get me wrong, but I sort of wish they had gone with Kyle/Alex instead if they wanted a gay pairing because again, I miss Michael/Maria and that whole thing a lot.

I am glad Michael Trevino is playing Kyle because I didnt really ike Kyle at all in the OG and at least now hes played by someone that i think a) has chemistry with lix and b) someone i like as an actor lol.

I think if you are comping it to the OG it wont go well but if you look at it as purely a reboot i think it did okay. I liked it better than charmed honestly. We will see where it goes.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:25 AM
Part-Time Fan

I wonder about some things

1.did the creator of this show watch and even like the original?
2.why would CW want to reboot a show that failed in ratings ?
3.did the creator care about or want to capture the original shows fans?
4.did the creator not realize the importance that the music or songs played
in the original was part of the appeal?
5.did they not like the maria michael romance and bickering in the original?

for 3 and 4 I would say no and no
for 5 I would say they either didnt like them as a couple or didnt watch the
original.
To me it seems stupid to not want to cater to original fans, they need all
the fans they can get.

Also about charmed it was changed too much and was lame and boring
I dropped that after the pilot.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Roswell
The 100

This show already feels like other CW shows I won’t name but don’t watch. Disuse they are mediocre.

I don’t want to bash anyone IRL or wish the show cancelled, but I just wish it didn’t exist. The only redeeming aspect is Jeanine - she’s fun to watch and gives us a new Liz that I don’t mind at all. Everyone else I am highly unimpressed with.

Apparently Michael is bi, so the possibly of a new M&M is still out there. I don’t mind him being bi at all!!

My main disappointments are with the lack of chemistry between the cast - as a whole. Maybe it’s too early to tell, but I felt nothing between them. In our pilot the electrifying connection between everyone was apparent from the first moment you laid eyes on them.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

my guess:

Quote:
1.did the creator of this show watch and even like the original?
2.why would CW want to reboot a show that failed in ratings ?
3.did the creator care about or want to capture the original shows fans?
4.did the creator not realize the importance that the music or songs played
in the original was part of the appeal?
5.did they not like the maria michael romance and bickering in the original?
1. Probably watched some of it but i bet not the whole series
2. They think rebooting will get better ratings (which is an odd thought)
3. Probably because thats what they wanted to bank on when they decided to reboot it. Thought the fan support from the OG would carry over.
4. Probably not.
5. Im sure they did but they probably wanted to do something different and "Edgier". I heard Michael is bisexual so maybe there will be a triangle. oh joy.

I agree the main cast doesnt have the best chemistry together. And the trio certainly doesnt have the same relationship the OG did.

Plus, the reveal of the whole alien thing was way too quick and Liz accepted it way too easily. lol.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

The best chemistry I saw between any characters was Liz and Arturo, that felt so real and they had such a natural rapport. They didn't feel forced and felt like a real father/daughter. I also have to give them props for casting Amber Midthunder as Rosa...her and Jeanine look so much alike, she was the perfect choice.

I still hate this Michael, but I do like that he's bi. Though I don't like the idea of using that to their advantage of Michael/Alex AND Michael/Maria. That's not a love triangle that needs to happen. It almost feels sort of cheap in a way? I don't know, I can't quite put my finger on why that rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's because I still have a fear that Maria will be underutilized the entire season and her biggest role could potentially be in a love triangle.

Even if I enjoy the next episode and decide to keep going, I'm not sure I'll ever like this Max or the Max/Liz relationship. I honestly can't get behind Nathan. He's been on two shows I watched and he was terrible on both, literally the same on both shows. Even if the chemistry managed to get better, he won't. I'm sorry if that sounds like bashing, I have nothing against him as a person, just his "acting."
Old 01-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Roswell
The 100

^ I agree on every single thing you just said Like, every point.

And Alexa - I agree the reveal was way too rushed and she seemed to accept it so quickly. Plus it fell kind of flat and didn’t seem like this super fun/mysterious reveal. He looked so bored while showing her and the pods looked too small in that cave (I also don’t like the cave, the Vasquez Rocks are way cooler).

Old 01-18-2019, 07:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Books and Writing

Just finished it.

I quite enjoyed it. Most pilots are never the best, and sometimes are rushed. had a bit of that, but I'm not worried if this was the worst of it Gives me great feeling about it going forward.

The reveal/her acceptance, while I understand may have felt rushed, but we have to realise these are adults so their reactions will always be different compared to them being teenagers. More mature and reasonable. Plus she is a scientist, so her investigating things she would have discovered something sooner rather than later; which was probably why he told her. Better coming from him than her telling people to figure out what was going on.

There was not enough Maria, I agree, but I hope going forward that changes. I did enjoy the scenes we got from her though. And liking her friendship with Liz.

I thought Liz and Max had good chemistry. Nathan did some a bit reserved, but I figured that's part of his characters personality. I think that will change.

Jeaniene did very well as Liz. Loved her.

The Michael reveal was interesting. But don't think it rules M/M out, given I did hear he is bi,so you never know down the line.

I'm looking forward to what the rest of the season brings.