New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2018, 08:13 PM
*evil laughter*

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

Yeah, this one is a good episode! Lots of suspense and disgust. The first time I was watching this episode, I was eating strawberry shortcake with lots of runny, red sauce. at least I didn’t lose my appetite somehow!
Old 08-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Elite Fan

Roadrunners really was great, nearly all of Vince Gilliigan episodes were awesome
Old 08-20-2018, 04:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm starting to learn that about the VG episodes.

How did all that writing and directing talent come together at once? It may well be that they grew together and challenged each other to do better with no fear.

If something works you don't change it.

Invocation

The One with the kid who disappeared from the swing.

Good. To be honest we've seen similar to this in a mix of season 1 and even 11 but a kid haunting yet helping someone in the future is similar to the Emily storyline from s5.

The Billy character is well realised. They managed to get him to stay silent in the whole episode. It does create chaos silence. The scene with the psychic is good. He is seen by everyone then resolves as dead, even JD has to believe it.

Love the last scene where Scully walks off into the woods. She is so much more dynamic in this season than I thought she was in s7. Stepping up to take some of the Mulder lines. In fact you can see lines swapped in this one. JD has definite early Scully lines in this episode.

It's the first glimpse of the Doggett's son storyline.

I don't understand why the kidnapper had to pick the brother of the original kid, at the worst possible time, when the case is being talked about again after 10 years and the FBI are sniffing around. You'd think he'd lie low. Bit stupid of him.

Good as I said. Doggett has slotted in nicely and Scully is starting to warm to him.

8/10
X Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:10 PM
Elite Fan

I’ve noticed that Invocation doesn’t seem to be very highly regarded for some reason, but I liked that one too. Maybe I’m just a sucker for episodes with creepy kids And it is a good character episode for Doggett too
Old 08-21-2018, 03:32 PM
*evil laughter*

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

Yeah, creepy kids get me good too. I remember enjoying this one when I watched it and I was thinking “ok, maybe season 8 without Mulder might be not too bad”. (Didn’t stop me from grinning like a fool, when he made appearances though!)

I think this episode needs a rewatch from me!
Old 08-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Part-Time Fan

There are a few creepy kids eps so this may get lost in that respect

Worth a look though. .

I am enjoying this rewatch binge since February. Lots i didn't remember or even see so it's like seeing brand new old new X Files.

I recommend a binge and stick with it. Discipline.

I need to watch Rain King to plug one gap which 5 spike missed.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:12 PM
*evil laughter*

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

I rewatched the entire series in 2016, first time in 20 years and noticed a lot of cool things I never paid attention to during the original run! and I noticed how high quality the show was cause other than technology being old, the storylines were still creepy and they weren’t afraid of killing off kids back then, it was darker than I remembered!
Old 08-23-2018, 12:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

Lol. The fear of killing off kids.......

Have you ever seen the original Frankenstein with Boris Karloff.

Black and White 1931. He throws a girl into a river while playing with her and wonders why she doesn't get up......

Even s11 had a bold child kidnap episode i seem to remember.

It's not a subject the UK drama's are very good at
Old 08-25-2018, 03:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

Redrum

The One which is like Monday backwards. Yadnom?....

This is popular, a bit predictable, a bit Tales of the Unexpected. The focus from the main character instead of Scully and Doggett. A bit like Hungry in that respect.

I liked the penultimate scene where S&D burst in at the last minute. Doggett has some good lines.

This is poorer for being a not Scully episode, she is but a background character.

Clever. But I didn't really care if he saved her or not. He was a man who had everything and even then got a second chance to right his own wrong. To get really deep, who deserves that more? A lawyer?

He abused his position and withheld evidence. His wife didn't deserve to die but he paid the penalty by going to jail at the end. Poor ending btw.

I wanted the Henry Weems character to win far more.

Disappointing.

6/10
Old 08-26-2018, 06:09 PM
*evil laughter*

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

Ok, it’s weird that I read this while watching The Shining! REDRUM!

This one is fuzzy in my memory since I only watched this season about once, two years ago!
Old 08-27-2018, 12:56 AM
Part-Time Fan

Same I was watching the 1977 Grand National........

That is freaky.

It had popular write ups at the time. Look, I suppose it is clever and a good idea, possibly better as a two parter with a lot more back story or even a film.

It seemed a bit rushed in the end. Why did the villain end up in jail to be able to slash his face?

Also, not a normal X Files writing team. Someone wrote the series needed to keep defining itself at the time to keep interest. I can kind of agree. This could have worked in the midst of the classic s4 but we needed more Doggett and Scully at this stage not less.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:13 PM
*evil laughter*

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

I’ll take your word for it!
Old 08-28-2018, 12:24 AM
Part-Time Fan

Maybe not
Old 08-28-2018, 04:48 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Fool (View Post)
It had popular write ups at the time. Look, I suppose it is clever and a good idea, possibly better as a two parter with a lot more back story or even a film.

It seemed a bit rushed in the end. Why did the villain end up in jail to be able to slash his face?

Also, not a normal X Files writing team. Someone wrote the series needed to keep defining itself at the time to keep interest. I can kind of agree. This could have worked in the midst of the classic s4 but we needed more Doggett and Scully at this stage not less.
I liked it more than you do, but I know what you mean about it feeling more like a film than a normal X-Files. There was hardly Scully in this one at all, I remember finding it a bit strange actually that season 8 had quite a few episodes that separated them, maybe they were worried about fans complaining that they didn’t have the same chemistry as the M/S partnership? Because I get the feeling that they liked writing for Doggett’s character a lot, he has a few character-focused episodes coming up, but Scully generally plays next to no role in them. And same the other way around, when Scully gets an episode centred more on her with Roadrunners, there isn’t much of Doggett in that episode
Old 08-28-2018, 04:19 PM
Part-Time Fan

The focus on a non main character is a good plot device.

If I think of Hungry that stands out. Then would you class the following in the same bracket:

Clyde Bruckmann
Tythonus
Fight Club
Musings of CSM

Envokes sympathy for the character and gives a chance to develop them.
Henry Weems is another.

I'm liking s8 so far.

Last edited by X Fool; 08-28-2018 at 04:21 PM Reason: Missed a bit
Reply   Post New Thread