New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
Pam Burkhart was written very strangely... AND when she returned in season 6, the show claimed she'd only been gone for three months, which means Jackie's dad had been in prison for only three months... which means only three months had passed since "Black Dog," which is totally ridiculous.

I hated Hyde's line to Pam, "I'm kinda of dating your daughter". There is no way Jackie and Hyde had been together only a few months. And after demonstrating how in love he is with Jackie in season 5, through the Nurse storyline, etc., he would've introduced himself definitively as Jackie's boyfriend. He would've staked that claim.

I know Hyde was supposed to act attracted to Pam like the rest of the gang... but, no. He would've been furious on Jackie's behalf that her mom abandoned her for a half-year ('cause that's how long her absence was, at minimum) while Jackie's dad was in prison and Jackie had to take care of the family ski cabin all by herself.

The show manipulated the characters so much to accommodate the Pam Burkhart storyline.
That is why the Pam storyline made me so mad. Hyde acted so out of character. He would have been more mad at Pam for abandoning Jackie. He also would have said for sure he was Jackie's boyfriend.

I also think Red acted out of character. He wouldn't have acted that stupid towards Pam. That was so ridiculous.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Part-Time Fan

Red acted absolutely out of character in the Pam storyline, and it made me so mad. There is no way that he would react like he did to Pam's presence. I do get the gang's reaction, that's totally in character (except Hyde) but Red? Really? I don't know what the writers were thinking..
How You Doin'?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Disney

I don't think the writers were thinking in that scenario. Red has shown to only have eyes for Kitty and them showing he had eyes for Pam was not right.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, that's true. You would think Hyde would have been more protective of Jackie when Pam suddenly decided to return, considering his own abandonment. And the Red storyline was just written for laughs, but totally betrayed his characterization.

That scene (I don't remember which episode) where they're having the gathering in the Formans' living room with Pam and all of the guys burst in, one by one, dressed up but acting like they didn't know Pam was there... it always makes me laugh. Especially the part where Kelso bursts in -- "What's she wearin'?!!!" So at times I actually thought the storyline was pretty funny, but it's always too bad when the writers sacrifice character development for cheap laughs. Couldn't they have come up with something that was funny and in character for everybody?
Old 05-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
That '70s Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysevenseconds (View Post)
the Red storyline was just written for laughs, but totally betrayed his characterization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysevenseconds (View Post)
but it's always too bad when the writers sacrifice character development for cheap laughs. Couldn't they have come up with something that was funny and in character for everybody?
I say almost these exact things all the time, Shea. Characterization was tossed out for punchlines. Although I laugh at Red and Hyde's antics/dialogue in "Squeeze Box," I'd gladly give it up for something that was in-character.
me!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Disney

Squeeze box is an episode where I both love and don't like it at the same time. While I didn't appreciate how Red and Hyde were written out of character, I did think it was funny how Red and Hyde bonded together and how Kitty and Jackie bonded together. It was almost foreshadowing in a way.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
That '70s Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
Squeeze box is an episode where I both love and don't like it at the same time. While I didn't appreciate how Red and Hyde were written out of character, I did think it was funny how Red and Hyde bonded together and how Kitty and Jackie bonded together. It was almost foreshadowing in a way.
I agree on all of this.

Kurtwood was so freakin' funny in that ep...

"I'm a hero."

Kitty: I can't even look at you.
Red: And yet you do! Because you have eyes. See what I'm saying, Kitty?

()
me!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Disney

I loved that line there.

Was that the episode where Jackie wiped lipgloss off Hyde's mouth?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
That '70s Show

Yeah, Jackie wiped it off Hyde's cheek. That was not a scripted moment (*states the obvious* ). DM clearly didn't enjoy having gunk on his cheek, and it made it look like Hyde hadn't enjoyed Jackie's kiss.
me!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Disney

I love hidden unscripted moments.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
That '70s Show

I just wish the whole Pam Burkhart story had been handled differently.

So... the T7S gang all went to the same elementary school together (as we learn in season 2's ep "Halloween"). I'm very curious about their younger years... I wonder when Donna/Kelso/Eric/Hyde knew Jackie Burkhart existed. I don't buy "Class Picture"'s version of things.
me!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, "Class Picture" was a little confusing. Also I might be remembering it wrong.

But - Kelso knew Jackie when they were like five, because they were playing "doctor" in the Forman's basement. So if Eric and Kelso both knew her when she was that young, chances are Hyde and Donna did, too. Don't you think? Because in "Class Picture" they made it seem like Donna and Jackie didn't meet until middle school. Just seems like if she was hanging out in the Forman basement, the others would've gotten to know her.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Disney

Thinking back on it, it is really confusing. Class picture made it seem like they met Jackie in middle school, however also in that episode they showed Jackie hanging out in the Forman basement. I am confused.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, I don't get it.

Point Place was a small town. I bet they all knew each other from a young age.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

It does make sense that they all knew each other from a young age. I live in a small town and everybody knows everybody else here :3
How You Doin'?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread