Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Mid-Season TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

David at "Live in the Backyard at Aloft-Leawood" Summer Concert Series, Leawood, Kansas on July 3rd:

High and Dry David Cook - YouTube 2

Laying Me Low David Cook Aloft 7/3/13 - YouTube 2

Fade Into Me David Cook Aloft 7/3/13 - YouTube

Come Back to Me David Cook Aloft 7/3/13 - YouTube

Light On David Cook Aloft 7/3/13 - YouTube

Banter David Cook Aloft 7/3/13 - YouTube

Second Banter David Cook Aloft 7/3/13 - YouTube

Third Banter David Cook at Aloft 7/3/13 - YouTube

I'll post more if I find them & summaries later.

---

David singing the National Anthem at the Kansas City Royals game in KC on July 4th:

Official broadcast:

At the stadium:

David is featured in this segment:

'Star-Spangled Banner' poses challenge, even for the pros - YouTube

Last edited by Cereal Killer; 07-17-2013 at 07:34 AM
Old 07-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Laura, thanks so much for all the video links! I'm watching that first video right now. It's making me want to watch David perform 'Always Be My Baby' again.

I can't wait to hear David sing the national anthem.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

No problem. I loved watching the video from Singapore even though it was a bit old. And he did an amazing job with the anthem as usual.

Here are more videos from Leawood, Kansas (July 3rd):

Fade Into Me David Cook Aloft 7/3/13 - YouTube

Come Back to Me David Cook Aloft 7/3/13 - YouTube

Light On David Cook Aloft 7/3/13 - YouTube

I've added them to the original post too.

===

Here's the interview with Broken Record Magazine finally! (Sorry it took me some time to post it even though it's been out for a couple of days already):

FULL FEATURE

Quote:
Jul 15, 2013
DAVID COOK Does Anything But LAY LOW

With another year of American Idol over, and another winner crowned, it’s hard to forget the “Idols” that have proven why the show was a true launching pad for talent. One, for example, has moved to Nashville and just released his latest single, “Laying Me Low.” Yes my friends, I am talking about David Cook.

Speaking with me on a rainy Nashville day, I congratulated Cook on his third feature in Broken Records Magazine. He requested a plaque or something to commemorate the milestone. Duly noted.

His latest single, co-written by Cook along side Andrew Waldeck and Chris Reardon, is a slight departure from what his rabid fans may be used to. Lyrically, musically, and emotionally, it is a little bit darker yet still has the groove that he’s laid down through his first three records.

When speaking about the single and the other “6 or 7 strong songs,” David tells us that these songs won’t all be about “boy loves girl and love with a pretty bow on it.” Instead, his new music may be a bit darker in tone.

“Laying Me Low,” for example, was originally to be just a “staccato guitar part and vocals,” but when Waldeck and Reardon came back with their version, David just loved it but he added, “I’m like…I don’t play piano!”

Recently, David decided to leave his West Coast home for somewhere a bit more musical. Since Nashville is the home of Country music, I figured I’d ask if he has decided to cross the musical line and add some Country elements. Remember, he is a Southern boy from Missouri. With the exception of “a little Mandolin undertone” in songs, Country has not found a home in his music but he may have found a home in someone else’s Country songs. He can’t say whom yet, but he has “one in the can” and he is working on one today (May 17th) too.

Most musicians, myself included, dream about the day that we can put a platinum or gold record on our walls. I’ve never cared about a Grammy, Billboard, VMA or any other award, but a plaque that says you’ve sold 500,000 or 1 million units is the ultimate. Now that the Recording Industry Association of American (RIAA) has decided to allow streaming services to count towards those certifications, it may help independent artists reach the goal that most would never reach. David, on the other hand, would love more plaques to put on his walls (especially the Broken Records Magazine one), but sees the streaming services of the business as a helpful way to bring music to more fans as long as it still allows them to earn a living. Cook remembers, “I had heard about an artist who had like 500,000 or 1 million streams or 2 million streams and they received a check for $140.”

This is why fans should support their favorite artists through going to concerts and buying their merch- one thing Cook fans never stop doing. I still remember my first David Cook show February or March of 2009 in Atlantic City, NJ with Ryan Star opening. Almost everyone at that show had either a “Declaration Tour” T-shirt or a homemade Cook shirt.

If you’ve ever seen David and his band live, you know that you’re in for an actual show. His live performances don’t need crazy backgrounds and choreography- instead, Cook takes us into a journey of a rock show. After all, David is a “rock guy.” “I’m about guitar, bass and drums.”

The millions of viewers who watch American Idol were given a treat on May 2nd when he returned to the Idol stage to debut “LML.” Returning to American Idol is “always fun” he said, and David loved knowing that he only had to get on stage that one night and not “week after week like the contestants.”

In other live concert news, keep your fingers crossed for some tour dates to come along the way. Nothing has been officially signed off but Cook is hoping to do a club tour promoting the new single.
And the award for most original tattoo goes to (drum roll please)… David Cook! Recently there has been a lot of chatter about the tattoo that DC has. In the past Cook told a fan that it was the Monster Energy Drink logo. “I’m sorry to that person if they are reading this,” he added but did tell us what the tat really is. “I went into the studio and said the names of my nieces and nephews. I took the soundwaves and got them tattooed on me.”
Now in his fifth year being part of the Race for Hope in WashingtonDC, Team Cook raised “just over $90,000” last time he looked and the race over all took in about $2.3 million. Cook said it’s a “cathartic experience” and that when he was on stage watching the pre-roll before his recent Idol performance, he couldn’t believe it has been four year since his brother passed away.

Source
Great interview! Love the part about the sound wave tattoo even though we already knew the story behind it.

(You can purchase a copy of this issue here.)

---

I read about this last week already, sorry again it took me some time to post it here.

Quote:
'American Idol' David Cook Asked to Fill In for Hinder Frontman
4:00 PM PDT 7/11/2013 by Shirley Halperin

With the hard rock band's singer Austin Winkler in rehab for a second time, his bandmates looked to more than one alum of the Fox show.

American Idol season seven winner David Cook was approached to be the frontman of hard rock band Hinder, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Cook turned down the offer so he can continue to work on his own music, but is said to have been “very interested” in filling in for singer Austin Winkler, who recently entered rehab for the second time.

"David Cook was at the top of our list,” Hinder manager Kevin "Chief" Zaruk of Chief Music Management tells THR. And fan favorite Cook wasn’t the only Idol the band reached out to – season 10’s James Durbin was also in the running, Zaruk reveals. “We would’ve loved to have either, but the timing didn’t work out.”

The Oklahoma-based Hinder is best known for the 2006 hit “Lips of an Angel,” which reached No. 3 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart -- and, incidentally, was also performed by Idol season nine winner Lee Dewyze. The band announced on July 10 that Winkler is on “temporary leave for personal reasons.” In his stead, Jared Weeks from Saving Abel will fill in, occasionally switching off with Marshal Dutton from Drankmore, who co-produced Hinder’s latest album, Welcome to the Freakshow, with co-founder and drummer Cody Hanson.

Hinder kicks off their summer tour tonight in West Fargo, ND.

As for Cook, THR hears he has another offer on the table: a recording contract from Verve, which is owned by Universal Music Group and run by veteran producer David Foster, who has worked with his share of Idol alums -- season two's Ruben Studdard, season five's Katharine McPhee and season seven's Michael Johns, among them -- and also happens to be husband to Real Housewives of Beverly Hills’ Yolanda Foster. Cook is "considering" the terms of the record deal, says a source.

A rep for Cook did not respond to THR's request for comment.

Durbin is also in the studio working on the follow-up to his 2011 debut, Memories of a Beautiful Disaster.

Winkler is said to be doing well, having taken the initiative to check himself into rehab “because he felt like he was slipping,” Zaruk explains, adding that it's not uncommon for people with substance abuse problems to opt for a refresher course. “We just want him to get healthy and get happy.”

Source
I'm not familiar with Hinder but I read they're not very current at the moment.

Also, I'm not sure if a label of David Foster would be the best match for David but it nice he has offers and I know he can make the best decision for himself.

Another, newer article about Hinder:

Quote:
David Cook, James Durbin Turn Down Spot with Rock Band
1:05AM Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Most American Idol contestants probably dream about fronting a band. So imagine being offered that chance -- and having to turn it down. Turns out it happened to not one, but two Idol alumni.

The manager of Hinder, best known for their 2006 hit “Lips of an Angel,” tells The Hollywood Reporter that David Cook was offered a chance to join the band on its current tour while their usual singer, Austin Winkler, is on hiatus for personal reasons. David reportedly was “very interested” but said no, because he’s working on new music. The Hollywood Reporter adds that he's contemplating signing a record deal with Universal Music Group’s Verve label. He parted ways with RCA Records last year.

Hinder manager Kevin "Chief” Zaruk says that in addition to David, the band contacted American Idol season-10 contestant James Durbin. Zaruk laments, “We would’ve loved to have either, but the timing didn’t work out.”

James is currently preparing his second studio album.

It wouldn’t have been that unusual for an American Idol contestant to act as a fill-in singer for a rock band. Adam Lambert has performed with Queen on several occasions.

Hinder ended up hiring two replacements, including a musician who co-produced their latest album.

Source
Another:

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - HINDER Wanted 'American Idol' Singer To Replace Frontman
Old 07-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (View Post)
No problem. I loved watching the video from Singapore even though it was a bit old. And he did an amazing job with the anthem as usual.
No David video is too old! I love that guy using the words 'set hearts aflutter' about David singing 'Always Be My Baby'. Ugh, I loved all his performances from that Singapore set. Especially 'Purple Rain'. David is always amazing doing the Anthem, we know he'll do more and I can't wait to hear him.

Quote:
Here are more videos from Leawood, Kansas (July 3rd):
Thanks for posting those links and adding them! Nice acoustic performances. I'm watching 'Come Back To Me' right now. Just finished watching his 'Light On' performances which I thought was really great. Great vocals, he hit some great notes. Especially at the 3:14 mark.

===

Quote:
Here's the interview with Broken Record Magazine finally! (Sorry it took me some time to post it even though it's been out for a couple of days already):

Great interview! Love the part about the sound wave tattoo even though we already knew the story behind it.

(You can purchase a copy of this issue here.)
The whole idea for the soundwaves tat is pretty creative, I would never have thought of that. Love it, love how it's another personal/meaningful tattoo.

I hope David can put more plaques on his wall and I'm still so eager to hear those '6 or 7 strong songs'.

---

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Hinder but I read they're not very current at the moment.

Also, I'm not sure if a label of David Foster would be the best match for David but it nice he has offers and I know he can make the best decision for himself.
I didn't know who Hinder was either until now. Though I looked up their song 'Lips Of An Angel' and I think I vaguely recognize it. Not surprised David turned down the offer (that was a permanent offer right? To front a band? It's a bit hard to imagine David suddenly fronting an existing band like that) but it's kinda cool he was offered.

Thanks for posting these articles. I don't know much about record labels to tell whether they'll be a good fit, but you are right that it's nice he has offers. I hope David is happy with whatever he decides.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Spirit (View Post)
No David video is too old! I love that guy using the words 'set hearts aflutter' about David singing 'Always Be My Baby'. Ugh, I loved all his performances from that Singapore set. Especially 'Purple Rain'. David is always amazing doing the Anthem, we know he'll do more and I can't wait to hear him.
I'm sure David did just that when he sang ABMB. Looking forward to his next NA.

Quote:
Thanks for posting those links and adding them! Nice acoustic performances. I'm watching 'Come Back To Me' right now. Just finished watching his 'Light On' performances which I thought was really great. Great vocals, he hit some great notes. Especially at the 3:14 mark.
No problem! I haven't watched them all yet myself. I watched High And Dry and LML and they were both awesome. I'll have to watch LO for the high note soon!

Quote:
The whole idea for the soundwaves tat is pretty creative, I would never have thought of that. Love it, love how it's another personal/meaningful tattoo.

I hope David can put more plaques on his wall and I'm still so eager to hear those '6 or 7 strong songs'.
It's a great tattoo with a great meaning. And I hope so too, and me too!

Quote:
I didn't know who Hinder was either until now. Though I looked up their song 'Lips Of An Angel' and I think I vaguely recognize it. Not surprised David turned down the offer (that was a permanent offer right? To front a band? It's a bit hard to imagine David suddenly fronting an existing band like that) but it's kinda cool he was offered.
I read that's their biggest hit too but I don't think I've heard it. I think it was a temporary offer for the period when their own lead singer is in rehab.

Quote:
Thanks for posting these articles. I don't know much about record labels to tell whether they'll be a good fit, but you are right that it's nice he has offers. I hope David is happy with whatever he decides.
You're welcome. This record label in question isn't exactly the genre David's music is and I don't think he signed up with them since there hasn't been any further announcements. I hope he finds a good fit for himself though.

===

Here's a new interview:

Quote:
Interview with David Cook: 'Laying Me Low' Special

By Markos Papadatos
Aug 8, 2013

Retired four-star U.S. Army general and former Secretary of State Colin Powell once said: “A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work.”

A musician who best exemplifies this wise quotation is American Idol season 7 winner and rock music sensation, David Cook. He has always been one of the most talented, versatile and genuine vocalists in the history of the reality singing competition. He was never afraid to take risks and showcased his vulnerability and his vocals were raw and emotional.

Most importantly, he sang with a lot of heart and was able to connect with millions of audiences watching him at home. While on Idol he was able to take songs by such artists as Lionel Richie (“Hello”), Michael Jackson (“Billie Jean”), Dolly Parton (“Little Sparrow”) and Mariah Carey (“Always Be My Baby”) and twist them, thus making them his own.

On August 7, I had the great fortune to chat via telephone with David Cook about his new single, his musical career, his songwriting, as well as his plans for the future.

David released his latest radio single “Laying Me Low” on April 30, via his label, XIX Recordings. David co-wrote the song with fellow songwriters Chris Reardon and Andy Waldeck. “Chris and I co-produced the single and it was a blast. I felt empowered to be able to be involved creatively on that level with the song from start to finish. I really felt like the finished product had my fingerprints on it. That song was different for me in the sense that it was a bit more experimental in trying to step outside of my comfort zone more than I really ever had before,” David said.

Although he hadn’t met Chris Reardon and Andy Waldeck prior to this creative process, he noted that a mutual friend got them in all together and they all connected immediately. “With the exception of one or two songs, I think Chris and Andy were a part of this entire record and they had their names on it. It’s really been a fruitful and creative partnership,” he said.

The “bulk” of David’s forthcoming album is written and that is going to determine whether they are going to release it on a new label, whether it is an independent or a major one. “My goal for this record is really to find the right home for it. This is probably as excited as I have been about music that I have been a part of in a really long time. I want to get this music out to as many ears as possible in the best way possible,” he said.

The Idol winner revealed that his previous studio effort had “such an arc to it which presented its own set of challenges” and this new project is more eclectic since it has “songs about everything” on there. “That has been fun and challenging in its own right. I think it allows for each song to have a little bit more of its own identity and now that I sit here with these songs and listen to them, it’s cool to see each song go in its own direction,” the singer-songwriter said.

While it is hard for David to choose a personal favorite song from the ones that he has recorded, he is drawn to his poignant and heartfelt ballad “Permanent.” “Obviously, there is the content of the lyrics on what the song is about, but that was the first time in my career as a musician where the way that I heard the song in my head is the way that it ended up on the record, and that was a very intense afternoon at Conway Studious with that song,” he said.

Throughout his tenure in music, David was crowned champion of the seventh season of American Idol, where critical judge Simon Cowell praised him on the night of his Idol win for being a “terrific” talent, as well as for “trying hard” and for “giving it his best” and he subsequently commended him for being a true gentleman. He went on to win with a difference of 12 million votes; moreover, his eponymous studio album has been certified platinum and it peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 all-genre charts; moreover, in 2008, he took home a Teen Choice award for “Choice TV Male Reality/Variety Star.”

Although he has had many “cool” moments happen to him, he is one true humanitarian that puts his work for philanthropic causes first. David remarked, “I have been really fortunate to be involved with Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure and the National Brain Tumor Society with the ‘Race for Hope’ in D.C. over the last five years has been huge and definitely an important part of all this for me. I am a big sports fan so to get to play at the celebrity softball game in Kansas City was huge too,” he said.

David shared that partaking in all of these charitable events is a great deal of fun for him. “The fact that I get to do these things and do good for other people is a big part of why I do this. I enjoy playing music, but being able to do more important things like that is extremely gratifying,” the humble singer said.

On his plans for the future, David revealed, “I have a new record in the works and another tour. I will continue to work with Chris Evert and her charity, as well as Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure.”

When asked what motivates him from day to day, he stated, “I just enjoy what I do. That has always been my motivation.”

In his spare time, he enjoys getting lost in Nashville with his girlfriend and his puppies, in an effort “to feel normal.”

A Blue Springs, Missouri, native David is a fan of Adele’s last album “21” and he listed the British sultry songstress as his dream female duet choice. “I really enjoyed my last record and I would love to work with Adele,” he said.

While it was quite overwhelming for David, especially when he first entered the music industry professionally, he added that having a great support system, which includes his family and great friends, was essential for him to overcome any challenges that were presented to him. “I have been really fortunate and everybody puts me in my place really quick,” he said.

He had but nothing the highest praise for his dedicated fans that have been with his from his Idol days. “My fans are awesome and I try to stay connected with them on Facebook and Twitter as much as I can. I really truly love being out on the road and connecting with them in-person,” he said. “I am continuously amazed at the support that I get from my fans this many years after Idol. I don’t think I am ever going to be able to repay them for that,” he added.

While some artists have extreme pre-show rituals, David has a really simple one. “I have to chew cinnamon gum on stage. That’s really my only ritual,” he said.

For David Cook, his definition of the word success is happiness in life.

For more information on rock singer and songwriter David Cook and his music, check out his official website.

Source
Good interview although there really isn't any new information. Well, he did mention the new album will be eclectic (sounds like DCTR ) and looks like the co-writers of LML may have written more songs with David (if the interviewer got it right). Also loved the description of him as an artist and human being.

---

Also, I've already added some tour dates in the OP but thought I'd mention it here too. These are the dates:
Sep 18: The Belmont, Austin, TX
Sep 19: Dosey Doe - Big Barn, The Woodlands, TX
Sep 21: NOW 102.9 TX Tango - Verizon Theatre, Grand Prairie, TX
Sep 22: Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa, OK
Looks like a mini tour coming up, yay!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I'm sure David did just that when he sang ABMB. Looking forward to his next NA.
I'm sure your heart was aflutter every time you heard him sing ABMB,

Quote:
No problem! I haven't watched them all yet myself. I watched High And Dry and LML and they were both awesome. I'll have to watch LO for the high note soon!
Check out LO, for sure! You'll love it. As far as 'High & Dry', looooved it. David + Radiohead is an amazing combo for me and t here's something about 'High & Dry' that really gets me. If only David can sing more Radiohead songs. There are many nice songs to choose from.

Quote:
It's a great tattoo with a great meaning. And I hope so too, and me too!
I bet there are more than 6-7 strong songs now.

Quote:
I read that's their biggest hit too but I don't think I've heard it. I think it was a temporary offer for the period when their own lead singer is in rehab.
A temporary thing for David would have been fine, definitely nothing permanent. That would have taken major adjusting.

Quote:
You're welcome. This record label in question isn't exactly the genre David's music is and I don't think he signed up with them since there hasn't been any further announcements. I hope he finds a good fit for himself though.
Definitely agree with the last part, hope the best for him whatever happens.

===

Quote:
Here's a new interview:

Good interview although there really isn't any new information. Well, he did mention the new album will be eclectic (sounds like DCTR ) and looks like the co-writers of LML may have written more songs with David (if the interviewer got it right). Also loved the description of him as an artist and human being.
I'll have to go read that whole interview properly now, thanks for posting. I like the sound of 'eclectic'.

There were some nice quotes to come out of the interview. I know you love this one: “I just enjoy what I do. That has always been my motivation.”

---

Quote:
Also, I've already added some tour dates in the OP but thought I'd mention it here too. These are the dates:

Looks like a mini tour coming up, yay!
Thanks for posting the dates here and in the OP. Lucky people whoever attends those shows!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

Quote:
I'm sure your heart was aflutter every time you heard him sing ABMB,
It really was.

Quote:
Check out LO, for sure! You'll love it. As far as 'High & Dry', looooved it. David + Radiohead is an amazing combo for me and t here's something about 'High & Dry' that really gets me. If only David can sing more Radiohead songs. There are many nice songs to choose from.
High & Dry is an amazing song and David does it justice. Maybe he'll cover another Radiohead song on this tour.

Quote:
I bet there are more than 6-7 strong songs now.
I bet so too!

Quote:
A temporary thing for David would have been fine, definitely nothing permanent. That would have taken major adjusting.
Yeah, we've used to The Anthemic so it would be weird to see him with a different band.

Quote:
Definitely agree with the last part, hope the best for him whatever happens.
Me too.

Quote:
I'll have to go read that whole interview properly now, thanks for posting. I like the sound of 'eclectic'.

There were some nice quotes to come out of the interview. I know you love this one: “I just enjoy what I do. That has always been my motivation.”
You're welcome, hope you enjoyed the interview. There were lots of great quotes (and I think we didn't post them all in the quotes thread yet ), I love the one you mentioned in its simplicity.

Quote:
Thanks for posting the dates here and in the OP. Lucky people whoever attends those shows!
No problem. I've been adding them as they are announced, I think the OP is up to date now. I think we need a thread for this tour though, or what do you think? I think I'll start one since the tour is starting tonight.

===

David Cook continues to be amazing:

Quote:
Over the Edge with David Cook

David Cook has decided to go Over the Edge for Brain Cancer and he wants you to go with him! On Saturday, November 2nd David will be rappeling down the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego - the tallest building on the San Diego waterfront - to raise awareness and funds to support San Diego-based brain cancer research. Please show your support so together we can raise more money for Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure than we ever could alone!

For more information click here.
Here's David's personal message:

Quote:
Go Over the Edge with David Cook!

As many of you know, I have decided to go Over the Edge for Brain Cancer. On Saturday, November 2nd I will be rappelling down the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego - the tallest building on the San Diego waterfront - to raise awareness and funds to support San Diego-based brain cancer research. For more event details and spectator information please visit: www.otesandiego.org. There are many ways for you to support me in this exciting adventure!

Every donation makes a difference - whether it's $5, $10, $20 or $365 in honor of the rappel height. The process is fast, easy, and secure and you will be supporting a great cause! And remember, if you think you have what it takes register as a member of the team and take on the rappel! I will be there to congratulate you at the bottom with a special meet and greet and photo op!

If you can't make a donation at this point, please help me reach my goal by sharing this page on Facebook and Twitter! Or, even better, send an e-mail to friends you think might be interested in contributing and include a link to my page! Thanks so much for your generosity and wish me luck as I go Over the Edge for Brain Cancer!

- David

(Source)
Such an amazing man!

(I've added this to the OP too.)
Old 09-18-2013, 03:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
It really was.
Especially that first time you heard it on AI, that was a great performance.

Quote:
High & Dry is an amazing song and David does it justice. Maybe he'll cover another Radiohead song on this tour.
I won't count on it but I'll prepare to thud if he does.

Quote:
I bet so too!
I just saw the new tour thread you opened and the list of songs in there, exciting to see some new ones in there.

Quote:
Yeah, we've used to The Anthemic so it would be weird to see him with a different band.
Very much so.

Quote:
You're welcome, hope you enjoyed the interview. There were lots of great quotes (and I think we didn't post them all in the quotes thread yet ), I love the one you mentioned in its simplicity.
Simple and great, I'll keep it as my sig for awhile. We'll bring over some of those quotes in the quotes thread when we can. I did enjoy the interview, I like how he mentioned being drawn to 'Permanent'.

Quote:
No problem. I've been adding them as they are announced, I think the OP is up to date now. I think we need a thread for this tour though, or what do you think? I think I'll start one since the tour is starting tonight.
It looks like you started the thread, great idea and thanks for doing so.

===

Quote:
David Cook continues to be amazing:

Here's David's personal message:

Such an amazing man!

(I've added this to the OP too.)
Thanks for adding! That's really amazing what he's doing. I had to look up what 'rappelling' was. Now that I know, wow. Kudos to David and anyone who will participate.

I read the comments in David's official thread, is it true David is afraid of heights?
Old 09-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

Quote:
Especially that first time you heard it on AI, that was a great performance.
It's what Cookified me.

Quote:
I won't count on it but I'll prepare to thud if he does.
Keep that thud smiley at hand!

Quote:
Simple and great, I'll keep it as my sig for awhile. We'll bring over some of those quotes in the quotes thread when we can. I did enjoy the interview, I like how he mentioned being drawn to 'Permanent'.
It's a great sig, a quote by David was one of my longest lasting sigs too. Permanent is obviously a very special song to him.

Quote:
I just saw the new tour thread you opened and the list of songs in there, exciting to see some new ones in there.

It looks like you started the thread, great idea and thanks for doing so.
I'm super excited about the new songs too, just about to start watching them!

No problem. I've removed the individual tour dates from the OP of this thread and just posted the start and (current) end date of the tour, and linked it to the tour thread instead.

Quote:
Thanks for adding! That's really amazing what he's doing. I had to look up what 'rappelling' was. Now that I know, wow. Kudos to David and anyone who will participate.
You're welcome! I didn't know the word "rappelling" either but since they mentioned a very tall building, I had an idea what it meant. The lengths this man will go to help to find a cure for cancer, it's so admirable.

Quote:
I read the comments in David's official thread, is it true David is afraid of heights?
I've seen those comments come up too but I have to say, I don't remember him saying that. Not saying it's not true, just that I honestly don't have a recollection of hearing or reading him talking about it. Maybe it was during Idol? I didn't follow his interviews super closely then.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
It's what Cookified me.
You and so many others. I think Simon was Cookified in that moment too.

Quote:
Keep that thud smiley at hand!
It always is!

Quote:
It's a great sig, a quote by David was one of my longest lasting sigs too. Permanent is obviously a very special song to him.
I spoke too soon, I think. I'm itching to change it to lyrics to one of his new songs. Just trying to decide which. It's special to us too, very moving song.

Quote:
I'm super excited about the new songs too, just about to start watching them!
I've been listening to the new songs as I'm catching up here, I'm listening to 'Kiss & Tell' right now. Great drum beats in this one.

Quote:
No problem. I've removed the individual tour dates from the OP of this thread and just posted the start and (current) end date of the tour, and linked it to the tour thread instead.
Thanks for doing that.

Quote:
You're welcome! I didn't know the word "rappelling" either but since they mentioned a very tall building, I had an idea what it meant. The lengths this man will go to help to find a cure for cancer, it's so admirable.
My first thought was maybe going all the way up the stairs from the bottom to top but then I re-read it and saw that it said rappelling down. Yeah, it's so very admirable. Good luck to David.

Quote:
I've seen those comments come up too but I have to say, I don't remember him saying that. Not saying it's not true, just that I honestly don't have a recollection of hearing or reading him talking about it. Maybe it was during Idol? I didn't follow his interviews super closely then.
It could have been on Idol, I don't remember much his interviews from there anymore. Not sure if he is, but I wouldn't be surprised. Such a common fear,
Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

Quote:
You and so many others. I think Simon was Cookified in that moment too.
Haha, he sure was.

Quote:
I spoke too soon, I think. I'm itching to change it to lyrics to one of his new songs. Just trying to decide which. It's special to us too, very moving song.
I was thinking about the same thing but I need to listen to the lyrics more first. Looking forward to see which ones you choose!

Quote:
I've been listening to the new songs as I'm catching up here, I'm listening to 'Kiss & Tell' right now. Great drum beats in this one.
I've been listening to them too, really loving the sound of them.

Quote:
Thanks for doing that.
No problem.

Quote:
My first thought was maybe going all the way up the stairs from the bottom to top but then I re-read it and saw that it said rappelling down. Yeah, it's so very admirable. Good luck to David.
It's quite a daredevil thing to do. Good luck to David indeed!

Quote:
It could have been on Idol, I don't remember much his interviews from there anymore. Not sure if he is, but I wouldn't be surprised. Such a common fear.
Yeah, it is. At least if you're rappelling down.

===

Here's a new interview:

Quote:
An 'Idol' returns: Former Tulsan David Cook talks about new album, Cain's show and love of QuikTrip

By JENNIFER CHANCELLOR World Scene Writer on Sep 19, 2013, at 2:21 AM Updated on 9/19/13 at 3:18 AM

David Cook is excited about Sunday's return trip to the Cain's Ballroom stage.

But he's gotta hit a QuikTrip first. Or maybe two.

The former Tulsa resident knows what's good. "I've gotta step in and get a taquito, or maybe a giant drink," he said eagerly.

So, ladies. Now you know where to find him before the show.

The former Tulsa barkeep found national fame as winner of season seven of "American Idol" - but he first earned acclaim on the dimly lit stages here at places like Gray Snail Saloon.

But what does he miss most about Tulsa?

"Everything. Something changes every time I'm there," he said in a recent phone interview. "I love the 18th and Boston area. That and QT," he said again, and laughed.

Cook cut his teeth here. It's where Cook became Cook.

Cook, born in Houston and raised in Kansas City, molded his husky vocal style right here with band manager and then-Tulsa resident Zac Maloy.

Maloy is formerly of the '90s rock act the Nixons, one of Cook's favorite bands. (He learned how to play guitar while strumming along to Nixons albums, he said.)

Maloy helped pen songs from Cook's self-titled 2008 album, including "Lie," "Life on the Moon" and "Come Back to Me."

Maloy, like Cook, now lives in Nashville. He's gone on to write hits for Carrie Underwood, among others.

Cook is a more recent transplant to the city and hasn't yet run into any famous cohorts, he said. He has, however, enjoyed the famed "songwriter spirit" of the city and its creative atmosphere.

"It's pretty perfect for me," he said. He moved there just over a year ago. "I came out here with minimal contacts, and it's quickly becoming a true, collaborative, full-on run for me."

On the heels of a recent single release, "Laying Me Low," Cook doesn't promise a new album release, at least, not just yet. In true indie fashion, he promises he'll release it ... soon. When the time is right. In the meantime, he said he will perform new music at Sunday's concert, as well as his hits.

That's good - the hits part, especially.

After his "Idol" win in 2008, Cook racked up 11 Billboard charting tunes in one week. The only other act to pull that off was the Beatles, which charted 14 songs in one week in 1964.

Cook's new, yet untitled, album "has a lot of voices" to it, he said.

"The drum programming is new - I'm not abandoning the drums - but there are new sonic areas for me," he said, describing its sound. "It's a growing process. People will see - and hear - that I've been growing. Right now, I'm focused on getting it to as many ears as possible."

And that includes at his live shows, too.

"I want to have fun with the music - I'm a songwriter. I'm not a businessman. I'm lucky, because I've been able to focus on the craft of making music," he said. "This album will be released by people who walk the walk, not just talk the talk - it will be released by people who believe in it as much as I do."

In other words, it doesn't have a set release date. And he's fine with that.

He has plenty of music to play live, considering he's working on his third full album release. He's taken a year-plus break from touring to "double-down on the creative process," he said, and is exited to get back on the road.

Plus, "I'm always looking for a good excuse to get back to Tulsa," said Cook, who was here in December for his birthday. "I'm also excited to see the Guthrie Green area and downtown. I didn't recognize it last time. The growth really makes me excited every time I come back."

Source
GREAT interview! Love him talking about the new music and album. I only wish there was a release date. But I understand his point. This got to be my favorite part:
"I want to have fun with the music - I'm a songwriter. I'm not a businessman. I'm lucky, because I've been able to focus on the craft of making music," he said. "This album will be released by people who walk the walk, not just talk the talk - it will be released by people who believe in it as much as I do."
Who believe in it. ...Unlike RCA? Love the subtle dig. xD I'm totally adding this as the title for the album thread!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I was thinking about the same thing but I need to listen to the lyrics more first. Looking forward to see which ones you choose!
I need to listen the the lyrics more too, and more clearly. I don't want to put inaccurate lyrics as my signature, ha.

Quote:
I've been listening to them too, really loving the sound of them.
So glad David showed us some new songs. Listening to 'Eye On You' right now. This one is something to dance to.

Quote:
It's quite a daredevil thing to do. Good luck to David indeed!

Yeah, it is. At least if you're rappelling down.
I think I'd rather bungee jump than rappel down something, get it over with quick. Hope David has some fun and feels the rush!

===

Quote:
GREAT interview! Love him talking about the new music and album. I only wish there was a release date. But I understand his point. This got to be my favorite part:
Who believe in it. ...Unlike RCA? Love the subtle dig. xD I'm totally adding this as the title for the album thread!
Nice to have a new interview. Just finished reading it now. A release date and one that was soon would be so exciting but getting it out when the time is right for David is what's important. At least we get to hear some of his new songs right now. I didn't so many, I was thinking maybe just one or two. I'm glad he finds a creative atmosphere in Nashville, the best thing for a musician is to feel inspired right?

Haha, me too. That would work great as a title! I see you already edited in.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

Quote:
I need to listen the the lyrics more too, and more clearly. I don't want to put inaccurate lyrics as my signature, ha.
I feel the same way.

Quote:
So glad David showed us some new songs. Listening to 'Eye On You' right now. This one is something to dance to.
I dance in my chair every time I listen to it.

Quote:
I think I'd rather bungee jump than rappel down something, get it over with quick. Hope David has some fun and feels the rush!
Haha, a bungee jump would definitely be over faster. I hope so too!

Quote:
Nice to have a new interview. Just finished reading it now. A release date and one that was soon would be so exciting but getting it out when the time is right for David is what's important. At least we get to hear some of his new songs right now. I didn't so many, I was thinking maybe just one or two. I'm glad he finds a creative atmosphere in Nashville, the best thing for a musician is to feel inspired right?

Haha, me too. That would work great as a title! I see you already edited in.
I love when we get new interviews too, especially when they are this good. Of course I'm very impatient to get new music but I trust he knows what's best for him and his music. The 5 new songs will tide us over for a while. I totally wasn't expecting for so many either! Nashville has obviously done him good.

I went ahead and added the title. Really loving the quote. <3

=====

Here's a great recap by a fan on the show in Houston on September 19th, lots of info that she got at the M&G:

Quote:
The Q & A went on for almost 40 minutes. So, without further ado, the most interesting things he said. Some of them are important IMO, so PAY ATTENTION
- Cowriters on new songs: Dave & Andy did composition parts on Wicked Game.
Dave, Andy & Andy Waldeck co-wrote Where Do We Go, I’m Gonna Love You and Kiss and Tell
Dave, Andy Waldeck & Chris Riordon (who co-wrote LML) wrote Eyes On You
Dave cowrote Carry You with Blair Daly (I’m guessing this guy -> Blair Daly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

- Dave likes their version of Wicked Game so much he’s considering putting it on the album (!!!) even tho he’s generally hesitant to have covers cos they take up spot of an original song

- He thinks crowdsourcing and pledgemusic is great, and would do it himself if ever needs be. However he’s not going to do it at this time, because he can afford to put out the album himself if he wants to. He wants to have a label because you need good distribution and pushing a single to radio costs $90 000. “It’s a business thing”. He wants a deal where he has the creative control he wants & and a label that believes in his music as much as he does. (BTW, he did throw in that he had a good relationship with RCA. You can take that whatever way you want to).

- He's doing a club tour because he loves us OK, not his exact words. He didn't want to make us wait for 3 yrs, he loves touring even more than we do, he loves playing clubs, that's how he started out, but after AI it became impossible for a while, they had to sneak in for stealth gigs

- At one point, D mentioned his "good friend Neal". I kinda felt there was a little bit of emphasis on the *good* part, so there you go

- His favourite of the new songs to play are I'm Gonna love You, because “it’s the easiest vocally” (said half-jokingly) and Carry You because he gets to do 2 things on it that he never gets the chance for otherwise: do a little guitar solo, and play the keyboards..

- He's contractually bound not to say anything abt shows until they''re *officially* announced.

- He said he’s seen worried tweets about Over The Edge, but we should stop worrying. He did his research before agreeing. No-one has ever gotten even a rope-burn from it. (Although he might be the one to make history)

- He said there are no plans at all for a live recording. And if there were, it would never be on 1st leg of a tour while they were still working out the kinks.

- He thinks Miley''s new song is awesome (seriously). #WordsINeverExpectedToType

Context: Someone asked him if he sings along (to himself) on radio, he misunderstood & said he doesn't listen to radio much anymore cos so horrible, then he said but he did like a few songs currently spinning - 2 others (that I can't recall) & then he dropped the Miley bombshell.

He said we should listen to the song instead of being "selectively judgmental" LOL. I think he was talking about song musically, not so much her voice. But I may be wrong.
About her video he said that's she's not doing anything people in the music business haven't been doing for past 20 yrs. In his opinion people are outraged because *it’s Hanna Montana*

- IIRC he said it was unlikely that there would be concert dates past November. No concerts in other countries are planned for this tour. He does pass along our requests to booking agents.
So bottom line - if international fans want him to come there, you must ask your venues to book him.

Some other things I heard via the young merch guy:

- The lyrics tee is the only tee that can’t be bought from the merch site. Methinks D has sole rights to it (also very likely his design). So buy, buy, BUY

- They are 7 people in one van. I'm starting to think the decision not to have a 3rd guitar player is due simply to logistics. If they had an 8th person, they would probably have had to rent another van, effectively doubling transport costs. This makes more sense from a purely business POV. And interestingly, I think they have done great with the arrangements. You don’t miss another guitar, it doesn’t sound thin, it just sounds *right*.

Source
This is a lot to take in at once, so I'll post the stuff concerning the new album in that thread and comment on it there.

Other things, nice to know he did research on Over the Edge before he agreed to it, hope he doesn't get a rope-burn.

He should consider a live recording though.

Bummer, should I really start thinking about asking a venue to book him? Although I do know it's highly unlikely he'll ever tour Europe...

Here's a pic of the lyrics t-shirt:

The lyrics are from 'Where Do We Go'. Me wants!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

Awesome review of the Tulsa show last night (September 22nd):

Quote:
Review: David Cook

By JERRY WOFFORD World Scene Writer on Sep 23, 2013, at 3:22 AM Updated on 9/23/13 at 4:51 AM

After David Cook wailed his husky rock voice in his second song of the night at Cain's Ballroom and the crowd roared, he gave a shy kind of chuckle.

"I got family here tonight," Cook said. "Y'all are making me look good."

But the "American Idol" winner and former Tulsan was doing a fine job of that on his own Sunday night.

Cook returned to his old stomping grounds to an enthusiastic crowd that sang and clapped along to nearly all of the singer's solid rock songs.

"If y'all keep a noise like that up, we're going to have a good time tonight," Cook said.

And a good time they had.

Cook developed his style of rock with his wide-ranging and powerful voice in Tulsa before making it onto the seventh season of "American Idol." He had a large support network in the town and across the country, pushing him to win the singing competition.

Cook has since gone on to release two albums and a new single, released earlier this year.

The crowd sang along with many of Cook's songs, including "The Last Goodbye" and "Heroes."

"I'm speechless, I have to say," Cook said after finishing "Heroes." "I should have just passed out lyrics sheets tonight and sat back."

But the crowd, an interesting mix of fangirls, housewives and rockers, wouldn't settle for that. They wanted Cook.

Cook's latest album, "This Loud Morning," was released in 2011, which Cook himself said was too long. He said they are working on the new album now and whetted the crowd's appetite for those new songs, which Cook said have a different feel.

"This song is the weirdest song I've ever written and that still holds up," Cook said before performing "Eyes On You."

The song had a familiar sound in his voice and guitar but had new funky rhythms and synth beats, not a bad direction for Cook.

Caroline Glaser warmed up the crowd before Cook took the stage. Well, more like a simmer. Glaser, a contestant on the last season of NBC's "The Voice," was sweet and bubbly but had a soft and mellow singing style.

That's not a criticism at all. Her voice was incredible and the songs she sang had the crowd standing close in awe of the young singer. She told cute stories and giggled frequently, which was incredibly endearing.

It was just Glaser on stage with a backup piano and guitar player. A simple setup but with her voice and talent, it was all she needed to hook the crowd.

A few of her songs were covers, but a good portion were originals, and good ones at that. It was impressive for someone who just performed on a talent search show, but the St. Louis-area native built a solid foundation in coffee houses and other soft settings.

But Cook's rock prevailed, with great interaction between Cook and the crowd. Noise all night or not, everyone had a good time.

Source
They just love him there on his old stomping grounds. Looks like he impressed everyone! Again.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

A very long (17 minutes) interview from Tulsa!

He talks about the tour, his favorite song to sing, what he has to have with him on the road, what it was like to hear himself on the radio for the first time, writing Laying Me Low, going back to watch himself on AI, having crazy stories from the road so far (nothing fit to print ), writing and recording Permanent, what is the coolest gift he's ever been given by a fan, whether he thinks he's music would be different if he hadn't done AI, how did it feel to win AI, whether he writes on road or at home, which one of the new songs is the most personal to him, the most memorable show he ever played, who he would like to collaborate with that he haven't yet, which top 40 song he would pick to cover, his plans for 2014.

Really awesome interview with some great questions! It's always such a pleasure to watch him and listen to him talk.