Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

First of all, this amazing video NEEDS to be here even if everyone has already seen it. (I did see it not long after it had come out, I can't for the life of me understand why I didn't post it here right away. )

From the Over the Edge for Brain Cancer event:

Just amazing! Jas, you mentioned how high he was, watching this video you can almost feel how high he was.

====

Chris Evert/Raymond James Pro-Celebrity Tennis Classic (November 15-17)

The cocktail reception (Nov 15):

Day 1, David played with Lisa Raymond and they won.

Warming up:

David Cook - Chris Evert Pro-Celeb - YouTube

Day 2, David played with Chris Evert and they won again.

Warming up:

Chris Evert Raymond James tennis classic - YouTube

David served the ball out of the grandstand tennis court and pretended to run the bases like a home run.

====

This show has of course happened forever ago but the review is so nice I wanna post it here (again, I was too damn lazy to do it when it came out ):

Quote:
David Cook performance at the Old Rock House Friday in St. Louis

November 24, 2013

Missouri native and American Idol Season 7 winner David Cook played at the Old Rock House in St. Louis Friday and showcased some new material for the female throng in the house.

With his mother in attendance and playing before a largely female audience which was jam packed in the venue, Cook was taken aback by the extreme volume of the screams. Cook even commented at one point to some screams "I don't even know what frequency that was in."

But from the opening chords of "Paper Heart" it was evident Cook was there to rock and to do what he does best; entertain.

Strapped with a Gibson Les Paul and backed with a tight-knit band Cook beat through a 19 song setlist in just under two hours in very engaging fashion.

Cook interacted extremely well with the fans (a bonus for seeing an artist in the intimate confines of the Old Rock House) and bantered back and forth like he was giving each private performance in their living room.

During "We Believe" a fan expressed her love for Cook at a very timely lull in the song, causing Cook to get the giggles. He actually had to pause and compose himself before continuing. After the song was over Cook said "Let's get the loves out of the way, because I can't keep laughing like that during a song." And continued with "Behind this rough, tough exterior lies a guy who likes to giggle."

While he may be a gigglepuss Cook is first and foremost a talented musician with a strong vocal presence and a flair for showmanship. Puntuating these aspects were vibrant up-tempo songs like the new "Kiss and Tell", a hard driven rocker that picks you up and drop kicks you through the goal posts, and "Laying Me Low" his newest single with a bluesy attitude.

Cook also was able to tone it down and showcased the ballads "I'm Gonna Love you" and "Carry You", both new songs, and a soulful rendition of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game", proving he is a not just a one dimensional rocker.

Cook had a surprise waiting for his guitar tech, Nick Gibson. As Gibson brought out a switch of guitars Cook announced he had something special planned and started in with he first chords of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" and let Gibson show off on vocals and guitar. Cook commented that Gibson "Looks so mean" when he was in his solo. We agree, and it rocked.

"Where Do We Go" was another mid-tempo new song Cook peformed that shows potential and promise for his new CD which should come out next year. For the throng of women in attendance, next year might not be soon enough.

David Cook setlist:
1) Paper Heart
2) Last Goodbye
3) Carry You
4) Heroes
5) Circadian
6) Let Me Fall for You
7) We Believe
8) Eyes on You
9) Wicked Game (Chris Isaak cover)
10) Fade Into Me
11) Kiss and Tell
12) I'm Gonna Love You
13) Declaration
14) Where Do We Go
15) Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd cover)
16) Come Back To Me
17) Secret Garden (Bruce Sprinsteen cover)
18) Light On
19) Laying Me Low

Source
I loved how they say he proved he's not just a one dimensional rocker. Also, "gigglepuss".

----

This show is over too but there's a nice interview here:

Quote:
'American Idol' winner David Cook to perform at the House of Blues in Atlantic City

By Kelly Roncace/South Jersey Times
on December 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Sometimes while pursuing your dreams, you have to get used to hearing the word “no.”

But luckily, for “American Idol” season-seven winner David Cook, he learned how to take the negativity as a challenge to keep going.

“Even before 'Idol,' when I was playing acoustic in local bars, ‘no’ is a word you have to get used to hearing and you have to learn how to process it properly,” Cook said. “At the end of a showcase one time, a label head told me I should find something different to do. I was young and dumb so I took it as a challenge.”

And judging from his success since exploding onto the music scene via “American Idol” in 2008, it was a challenge Cook didn’t take lightly.

“It’s all about conviction and knowing you can do what you want to do,” he said.

Today, Cook performs all over the country. He has a stop planned at the Party Pit at the House of Blues in Atlantic City on Dec. 27.

“I’m really excited to be coming back to Atlantic City,” Cook said about his upcoming show.

Before the world met him through the popular television show, Cook said he grew up surrounded by music.

“My dad played guitar from the time he was 15, so there was always music in the house,” he said. “I first started singing after my mom caught me singing while getting ready for school one day.”

Cook said his mother broke the news to Cook’s music teacher who then asked Cook to sing in front of the class.

“That was humiliating,” he laughed, “but it’s worked out pretty good since then.”

In addition to having his mother to thank for his singing debut, it was his brother Andrew’s influence that got him to “Idol.”

“Andrew wanted to (audition) for years and auditions finally came close enough,” he said. “I took a few vacation days and went up there to support him, and he talked me into going with him.”

Cook said he and his brother were in the same audition group and Cook was the only contestant to make it through.

“I told him if he didn’t want me to do it, I wouldn’t do it,” he said. “He told me if I didn’t do it, he would kick my ass. And I think he would have, too.”

Since winning season seven, Cook said his life has been a “whirlwind.”

“It sounds cliché, but it’s true,” he said.

In addition to countless appearances and tours, Cook is currently working on his third studio album which he hopes to release by next summer.

“We’re ironing out the details for distribution right now and we’re almost done the writing process,” Cook said. “I’ll spend the beginning of the year cutting and editing and hopefully it will be ready by early summer.”

Cook is looking forward to the upcoming Atlantic City show.

“The shows are actually really just a lot of fun,” he said. “They’re not real structured and sometimes I go off on tangents talking.”

But mostly, he said, he is thankful every day that he “still gets paid for this.”

“When people ask me what I do, I get to say I’m a musician,” he said happily.

Source
Some tidbits on the new album and its schedule. Also, the last quote.

----

Quote:
December 31, 2013

2013 in Review: Best Idol songs
by Mark Franklin

Here are my picks for the best 10 songs of 2013 from former American Idol contestants.

And, wow, that was tough.

Tough because former contestants delivered lots of great music in 2013.

Many, perhaps more than ever before, released singles independent of albums.

My rules for determining which songs were eligible were pretty simple.

The song must have been released in 2013 (which, for example, eliminated hit singles from 2012 albums from Phillip Phillips and Carrie Underwood). I did not consider Christmas songs (go ahead and call me “Scrooge”). And I limited it to one song per artist, which just seemed fair.

So here’s my top 10.

8. David Cook, “Laying Me Low”

Here’s hoping 2014 brings more new music from the Season 7 champ, because this single, delivered in April and performed on Idol, again proved he’s capable of delivering great music, major label deal or not.

Rest at the source
Of course this is just some dude's opinion but it's always nice to see David make people's lists when they're talking about the best.

---

Random but nice:

Quote:
Published Wednesday January 1, 2014

The 5 best 'American Idol' winners
By Kevin Coffey / World-Herald staff writer

There have been just 12 winners of “American Idol,” and only one of them got started in Omaha.

David Cook auditioned here in 2007 before going all the way to win the show's seventh season. Cook will return to Omaha Sunday to perform at The Waiting Room Lounge — tickets are $20 in advance or $25 day of show — and we thought we'd count down our favorite “Idol” winners.

David Cook

We have a soft spot for Cook after his Omaha launch, and we're also impressed that Cook is pushing on with his rock band. He is expected to put out a third studio album early this year.

Rest at the source
----

This one has a lovely quote from David on his new music:

Quote:
Kicking off 2014: There is lots to see, from an ‘American Idol’ champ to a percussion dance group

David Cook has a new passion in music. This is in part to moving to Nashville, Tenn., to focus on writing.

The former “American Idol” winner – he won season 7 – has had plenty of triumphs and tragedy since winning the TV competition.

His debut album made chart history with 14 debuts on the digital charts. Shortly after, his brother died from brain cancer and became the inspiration for his second album, “This is Loud Morning.”

Now Cook is having fun making music and rocking out a bit more.

“For a long time, it lost its luster,” he says of music. “Now everything is coming together organically and I’m loving it. There’s a renewed passion for me.”

Source
He's been talking about it a lot but I'm really happy to know how much he's enjoying what he does now.

---

Alright, that's it! My laptop can't handle more. xD
Old 01-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

Really, really GREAT interview:

Quote:
For 'Idol' winner David Cook, staying in the spotlight is about more than fame

By Christina Fuoco-Karasinski

Published: Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Updated: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 15:01

Winning “American Idol” in the Fox Television show’s seventh season has given pop singer David Cook a plethora of opportunities, including playing for the troops, touring with Gavin DeGraw and The Script on separate occasions, and selling millions of records.

But, Cook says, the best reward has nothing to do with the stage. It’s helping to support cancer research after losing his brother, Adam, to a brain tumor. Through his efforts, he has raised more than $3 million for brain tumor research and funding.

“I think losing Adam, it affected me such a great deal,” Cook says after a heavy sigh. “I couldn’t fathom anybody else going through something like that. So what platform I continue to be afforded by ‘Idol’—I don’t know how long I’ll have it—I see it as imperative that I use it as best I can. Continuing to be involved with the National Brain Tumor Society and ABC2 (Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure) is paramount for me. I get as much joy out of doing that as I do being on stage, which says a lot.”

Cook will hit the stage locally on Saturday, January 12, when he performs at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. He’s using this jaunt to road test material for an album he’s going to record later this year.

“We’re in the midst of starting pre-production to record,” says Cook, who has lived in Nashville for the last year and a half.

“We’re going to get on the road and play the songs, which on top of us trying to entertain, is pretty great pre-production for us. We’re getting to tighten the songs up. We’ll get in the studio pretty quickly after that.”

Cook plans on producing the album—his third post-“Idol” release—on his own. It reflects his ethic on his latest single, “Laying Me Low.”

“I got a bit of a bug for it on the last single we put out, ‘Laying Me Low,’” he says. “I co-produced it with one of the other writers. I just loved wearing that hat. I think feeling a little more invested in the end result was something I really enjoyed. I’m going to take on this monumental task of trying to do it with the whole record.”

He sees it as a big challenge, considering he did his last two records with such high-caliber knob-turners as Rob Cavallo (Green Day, Goo Goo Dolls) and Matt Serletic (Collective Soul, Matchbox Twenty).

“My hope is that that rubbed off on me a little bit and I bring some of that experience into it,” Cook says. “I have a vision of what I want these songs to sound like. Being able to have that say so, will helpfully move these things along.”

“Laying Me Low” is a bouncy, piano-laden song that varies from his recent efforts, which, admittedly, have been lower key.

“The second record, ‘This Loud Morning,’ was a record I needed to make,” he says. “Being on the other side of that, I can see it a little more clearly now. The subject matter of the record and where that record came from, I just had to do that record. With this new stuff, I’ve tried to enjoy the creative process more—trying to experiment with new instrumentation and new lyrical concepts. That’s where a song like ‘Laying Me Low’ comes from. I thought, ‘Let’s just write a song and see what happens.’ That’s the creative environment that I’ve tried to adhere to with this new stuff.”

Cook explains that feeling is rooted in his enjoyment with music.

“Without question I’m having more fun now,” Cook says. “I’m not sure what triggered it. Just having the whole creative confidence and creative freedom really has been huge. I don’t know that these songs would have come out in any other scenario.”

While touring and recording his new album, Cook will continue to advocate.

“I think having a bit of empathy toward a situation is what continues to drive me,” Cook says. “Adam left behind a wife and two kids. I wish Adam could see his kids now. I think it drives me to make sure that nobody else has to deal with this.”

Source
What he said about cancer advocacy... Honestly, I was misty-eyed after reading this article, how can he be such a wonderful human being?

And so much concrete info about the new album like when the recording process will likely start and that he's gonna produce the album himself! So exciting!

Last edited by Cereal Killer; 01-09-2014 at 10:28 AM
Old 01-12-2014, 05:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceWithLife (View Post)
Thank you for all the interviews! I must say, that Going Over the Edge thing is a pretty awesome thing for him to get involved in. Loved that little video of him talking about it.
It really is amazing that was part of that.

-------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (View Post)
No they don't work, and this is not the only time this happens to me. Looks like my laptop doesn't like Instagram videos.
Sorry about that.

Quote:
Hope you liked the interview! And if you checked out the new NIN album, hope you enjoyed it. I love the "inherently me" comment too because I really think David has his signature sound. He puts his own stamp on everything he does, you can always tell it's him.

I love the TLM comment a lot (and finally remembered to post it in that thread xD) and I hope he's having a lot of fun too! It seems to me he is.
I did. I didn't check out the NIN album though but I'm sure I'll like it. Well said about David putting his stamp on everything he does.

-------------

Quote:
First of all, this amazing video NEEDS to be here even if everyone has already seen it. (I did see it not long after it had come out, I can't for the life of me understand why I didn't post it here right away. )

From the Over the Edge for Brain Cancer event:

Just amazing! Jas, you mentioned how high he was, watching this video you can almost feel how high he was.
You really can almost feel how high he was. My gosh, when David was at the edge of the building right at the beginning before he went down and they told him to lean back...I just think to myself that I would have such a hard time leaning back. David's 'Oh my dear God' is appropriate. Thanks for posting the video here, very neat that they had a camera on his helmet throughout it all.

Thanks for all the Chris Evert videos, I still need to watch those. Great news that David won some games! I'm eager to watch that video of him running the bases like a homerun.

Quote:
This show has of course happened forever ago but the review is so nice I wanna post it here (again, I was too damn lazy to do it when it came out ):

I loved how they say he proved he's not just a one dimensional rocker. Also, "gigglepuss".
A 19 song setlist, I'd love to be there. I'm going to look for his 'Sweet Home Alabama' cover soon. It's nice that David's mom was in the audience. I like the mention of David being great with the crowd and his banter, you know how much we love his banter. The 'Gigglepuss' nickname is a fun one.

Quote:
This show is over too but there's a nice interview here:

Some tidbits on the new album and its schedule. Also, the last quote.
That last quote is wonderful, I really love the last two quotes. It's nice to know that writing process is almost done.

Quote:
Of course this is just some dude's opinion but it's always nice to see David make people's lists when they're talking about the best.
That person has good taste!

Quote:
Random but nice:
Any kind of David mention is welcome.

Quote:
This one has a lovely quote from David on his new music:

He's been talking about it a lot but I'm really happy to know how much he's enjoying what he does now.
It's so great that he has a renewed passion and is having fun.

------------------

Quote:
Really, really GREAT interview:

What he said about cancer advocacy... Honestly, I was misty-eyed after reading this article, how can he be such a wonderful human being?

And so much concrete info about the new album like when the recording process will likely start and that he's gonna produce the album himself! So exciting!
Thanks so much for posting this, I'm going to read it now.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Spirit (View Post)
You really can almost feel how high he was. My gosh, when David was at the edge of the building right at the beginning before he went down and they told him to lean back...I just think to myself that I would have such a hard time leaning back. David's 'Oh my dear God' is appropriate. Thanks for posting the video here, very neat that they had a camera on his helmet throughout it all.
Having the camera on his helmet gave it such a cool perspective, it really felt like you were there with him. His 'Oh dear God' seems very appropriate for the situation, it takes guts to go over that edge, literally. No problem!

Quote:
Thanks for all the Chris Evert videos, I still need to watch those. Great news that David won some games! I'm eager to watch that video of him running the bases like a homerun.
I didn't have time to watch them all myself either, so I've got some watching to do, too. Looks like David is getting good at tennis. And I love that he always goofs around, bringing some of his baseball background into the game of tennis.

Quote:
A 19 song setlist, I'd love to be there. I'm going to look for his 'Sweet Home Alabama' cover soon. It's nice that David's mom was in the audience. I like the mention of David being great with the crowd and his banter, you know how much we love his banter. The 'Gigglepuss' nickname is a fun one.
I love it whenever he does these massive setlists, I hope the audience realized they were really being spoiled. So nice of him to let Nick to be on the vocals for 'Sweet Home Alabama' too! His banter is endlessly entertaining, I always love to watch the videos of it.

Quote:
That last quote is wonderful, I really love the last two quotes. It's nice to know that writing process is almost done.
I'm just so happy for him that he gets to do what he loves for living, and that we get to enjoy it too. I hope we get some vlogs or something on the recording process.

Quote:
It's so great that he has a renewed passion and is having fun.
It's awesome. I'm sure it will result in a great, great album.

Quote:
Thanks so much for posting this, I'm going to read it now.
Hope you enjoyed reading it. Tell me if you got misty-eyed at all. Can you believe he's raised more than $3 million for brain tumor research and funding?

I also need to post all the new album stuff in that thread (from this interview and the others).
Old 02-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

It's been 50 years since The Beatles' appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show and here's a list of the 50 best Beatles moments on TV. Look who made it.

Quote:
6. "American Idol," Beatles Night (2008): "American Idol" wannabes are known for churning out Beatles covers, but Season 7 winner David Cook's rendition of "Eleanor Rigby" was a standout performance.

Source
And #6 too! This was such a great performance, I love his enthusiasm and the judges' comments.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

wait -- tennis?!
wow, he amazes me! that is so awesome!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

I know right? That was his 4th year participating in the tennis tournament, he's also ran a marathon and several 5k's for charity, and let's not forget rappelling down a tall building. He is amazing.

===

Everyone's seen the tweets already I'm sure, but I want to have the news in this thread too.

Quote:
Retweeted by David Cook
David Nail @davidnail
I said Id tell yall what my next single from #ImAFire would be & I stick to my word. Happy to share Kiss You Tonight:
David Nail - "Kiss You Tonight" (Teaser) - YouTube
11:55 AM - 18 Feb 2014
Quote:
Check it out! @Davidnail's new single, "Kiss You Tonight", written by @thejayknowles, @trentsummar, and myself! --> David Nail - "Kiss You Tonight" (Teaser) - YouTube
2:16 PM - 18 Feb 2014
So awesome! This is a great song and apparently David Nail is a popular country artist so the song could well which would be great for David and his song-writing career.

Here's a blog about the single:

Quote:
FIRST LISTEN: Country Star David Nail’s New Single “Kiss You Tonight” (David Cook Cowrite!)
By windmills On 02/19/2014

MCA Nashville recording artist and rising country star David Nail is about to release his 3rd studio album and a new single, the follow-up to his bound for platinum #1 hit “Whatever She’s Got,” and there’s an American Idol connection! David Nail has confirmed that the 2nd single from his album, which goes for adds on 3/3 (the day before his album, I’m A Fire, is released), is “Kiss You Tonight,” a song cowritten by Season 7 Idol champ David Cook with established country songwriters Jay Knowles (who was nominated for a Grammy for cowriting Alan Jackson’s “So You Don’t Have To Love Me Anymore”) and Trent Summar (who has landed cuts with Kip Moore, Randy Houser, and Billy Currington)!

Check out the full stream of the song here (warning: stream may buffer):

You can check out David Cook performing the song live here. Meanwhile, David Nail talks about “Kiss You Tonight” in the following video. Nail compares the feeling he got listening to the song to the feeling he got listening to Lady Antebellum’s smash hit “Need You Now”:

David Nail - "Kiss You Tonight" (Teaser) - YouTube

David Cook joins Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, (EDITED to add, thanks @Joyed_) and Chris Sligh as Idol alums who have written songs that were cut by and became singles for major label or big-time label country acts. Reba picked up the Kelly/David Hodges/Ben Moody cowrite and worldwide pop smash “Because Of You” and had Kelly join her for what became a #2 country hit, and Rascal Flatts took the Clint Lagerberg/Chris Sligh cowrite “Here Comes Goodbye” to #1, while Lauren Alaina released “Eighteen Inches” (cowritten by Carrie, Ashley Gorley, and Kelley Lovelace), a heartwarming story song that peaked in the t35 after running into country radio’s typical resistance to new female acts.

For an idea of what kind of get this is for David Cook and what’s at stake with this single, consider this: David Nail, who blends country, soul, and pop in his music, has for several years been considered one of country music’s finest male voices, and he’s known as a strong songwriter in his own right. He has three career t10 hits including 2 #1s and an additional t20 hit, but he has never had consecutive t10 hits – something he and his team are determined to change. In an effort to become a more consistent hitmaker, Nail has talked about making a conscious effort to branch out beyond piano ballads and to cut more upbeat songs. That strategy paid off with “Whatever She’s Got,” which sits at 863k sold and is by far his fastest selling single. We’re about to see if the single can help Nail to top his previous album’s first week sales of 13k (the album was released 11/15/2011), and obviously, Nail’s 2nd single is intended to keep his momentum building and to help in the effort to take him to the next level in the country world.

Check out a teaser for David Nail’s upcoming I’m A Fire, featuring clips from several songs and commentary from Nail:

David Nail - I'm A Fire -- Album Teaser - YouTube

Tracklisting for David Nail’s I’m A Fire:
1. “Whatever She’s Got” (Jon Nite/Jimmy Robbins)
2. “Broke My Heart” (Scooter Carusoe/David Nail/Jonathan Singleton)
3. “Burnin’ Bed” (Brandy Clark/Bob DiPiero/Shane McAnally)
4. “When They’re Gone (Lyle County)” (featuring Little Big Town) (Scooter Carusoe/Brett Eldredge)
5. “Brand New Day” (Scooter Carusoe/Shane McAnally/David Nail)
6. “Kiss You Tonight” (David Cook/Jay Knowles/Trent Summar)
7. “The Secret” (Scooter Carusoe/David Nail)
8. “Countin’ Cars” (Michael Dulaney/Lee Thomas Miller/Neil Thrasher)
9. “Easy Love” (Lee Thomas Miller/David Nail)
10. “I’m A Fire” (Tom Douglas/Jaren Johnston)
11. “Galveston” (featuring Lee Ann Womack) (Glen Campbell cover, written by Jimmy L. Webb)

You can check out CLIPS from & PRE-ORDER David Nail’s upcoming I’m A Fire, due out 3/4/2014, HERE.

Do you think “Kiss You Tonight” sounds like it could become David Nail’s next big country hit?

Source
Old 02-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator Manager
Live Long and Prosper

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Thanks for all the updates.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

You're welcome.

---

Here's the official lyric video of Kiss You Tonight:

Sounds great! I really hope this will be a hit.

---

Because I'm only a little bit slow , David's new bio from the official site 2 weeks later. Lots of great details about the new album!

Quote:
Biography

Sitting outside a Nashville coffee shop soaking up the sunshine on a golden Indian summer afternoon, David Cook wears the contented smile of an artist in the midst of a creative renaissance. Much has happened since he won the seventh season of American Idol in 2008 and subsequently made chart history with a record-breaking 14 debuts on Billboard’s Digital Songs chart.

These days the talented rocker with the fiery vocals and searing songwriting skills has entered an exciting new chapter marked by a newfound creative freedom and the maturity that comes with having a lot of life thrown at you. In the wake of Idol, Cook endured an emotional rollercoaster marked by career highs mixed with the devastating personal tragedy of losing his beloved brother Adam to brain cancer. He toured relentlessly and released his second RCA Records album, 'This Loud Morning', but when the dust settled, he found himself craving a major change. He discovered what he was looking for in Nashville’s songwriting community and relocated to Music City in June 2012.

“One of the things I love about songwriting here is that it’s more story telling based and there’s a little bit more of an emphasis on the lyrics,” says Cook, who was born in Texas and raised in Missouri. “When you listen to a lot of popular music right now, it almost seems like that’s becoming a lost art. I’ve always loved those songs that tell a great story and that’s something I’ve really tapped into here. I like writing in a way where I know I’m telling a story, and it’s obvious that there is a story there, but it’s big enough to where people can find what they want in it. That’s where a song like ‘I’m Gonna Love You’ comes from. My favorite thing about that song is that it makes me think of not only people that I have loved, but places and things and moments, even down to the sensory stuff like smells and touches.”

Cook is currently working on music for a new album. Having exited RCA after 'This Loud Morning', he’s reveling in the creative freedom he enjoyed for years as a successful indie artist long before he ever hit the Idol stage. “It’s nice to work on the record and take time to write and take some off and play shows,” Cook says. “I like to be busy. The last year has been spent getting acclimated to Nashville, getting into writing circles here, writing for other artists and trying to find time to work on my project.”

The result is an impressive new collection of tunes teeming with a restless creative spirit yet anchored by an emotional gravitas that is compelling. “Where Do We Go” showcases the power and range in Cook’s voice as well as his insightful songwriting. “A lot of my favorite love songs are us-against-the-world love songs, almost post-apocalyptic and this kind of falls into that. We started with this dub step thing that kind of cycles throughout the song, so I really just wanted the lyrics to have that same pulse,” he says of the tune he co-wrote with Andy Waldeck and Andy Skib. “The song talks about this couple and it’s posing the question: ‘Where do we go when we hit bottom?’ I’ve always found an inherent romanticism when you’ve got this person and no matter what, you’re together, but it’s also okay to be unsure sometimes and to be vulnerable.”

“Eyes on You” is an ear-grabbing up-tempo that Cook wrote with Waldeck and Chris Reardon. The incendiary guitar provides a blazing accent to Cook’s vocals. “It’s weird in the sense that so many elements are outside of what I think people would perceive me to be as a writer, musician and a performer,” he admits, “but it has been pretty consistently a crowd favorite every night. It’s out of our comfort zone, but the crowd really responds to it.”

Cook even recorded his own distinctive take on Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game” that is among the fan favorites at his live shows. “We put this very quick demo together of this song and ended up loving the vibe of it so much,” Cook says, “and it matched what we were doing with the new songs, so we were like, ‘Let’s just hold onto it.’ I would want to put it on the record, which is rare for me because I’m usually not one of those people who likes to put covers on records. We work so hard on originals, I don’t want to take space from an original, but with this song, there is something special about it for us.”

Cook has been self-producing the new material and enjoying every minute. “I’m loving wearing that hat. It goes back to being a control freak I’m sure,” Cook says with a laugh. “When someone else produces, it’s the equivalent of painting this great painting, getting half way done and then giving it to somebody else to finish. I love kind of being able to see the whole thing through and be a part of that process. I love that because you are that much more invested in the end result, and as a performer to be able to go out and play the song and have that belief in the song because I was there from start to finish, it just makes it that much more gratifying when the audience replies in kind.”

Music has long been Cook’s passion. Growing up, he absorbed a variety of influences from Kenny Rogers and Dire Straits to Kris Kross and Boyz II Men. After college, he could have thrown all his energy into his career as a graphic designer or joined a band. He moved to Tulsa and music won out as he began touring and recording indie projects. When his brother Andrew decided to try out for American Idol in Omaha, he enlisted David to come along. In an interesting twist of fate, Andrew didn’t make the cut, but David did.

“It’s still weird to me how the whole thing worked out,” he admits. “I get asked all the time: ‘What would I be doing if I hadn’t auditioned?’ Well I’d probably be working in Tulsa, still making records, still touring, still trying to do all those things, but probably having to do other things to pay my rent or mortgage. The parameters would certainly be different, but I don’t know if a lot of the day to day would necessarily change except maybe I’d have a day job.”

Once the American public got a taste of Cook’s talent, it was obvious he wouldn’t be needing a day job. His self-titled RCA debut bowed at No. 3 on the Billboard album chart, spawning two Top 20 singles, the platinum “Light On” and “Come Back To Me.” The album sold more than a million copies and made Cook an in demand touring artist. Cook followed up with his sophomore album, 'This Loud Morning', produced by Matt Serletic (Rob Thomas, matchbox twenty, Collective Soul), which debuted in the top ten. Cook’s stats are impressive. Collectively his songs have sold over two million tracks and ringtones. He has two platinum and one gold-certified singles, but the numbers that mean the most to Cook are his charitable endeavors. He has raised over three million dollars for brain tumor research and funding, and traveled thousands of miles to perform on USO Tours for soldiers in both Kuwait and Iraq.

Cook’s latest project is Cook’s 11th album and he’s enjoying this new season. “If every record is a tight rope walk, this one doesn’t have a safety net,” he says with a grin. “I’m excited about it because if you’re not willing to take the bumps and bruises that come along with maybe falling on your ass every once in a while, then you don’t really deserve the rewards that come along with it on the other end. I’m enjoying the gamble. This is what it is. I’m throwing it out there. Hopefully people will love it and want to come along for the ride and have as much fun as we’re having.”

Source
We will love it and we do want to come along for the ride, David!

Last edited by Cereal Killer; 03-18-2014 at 03:14 PM
Old 02-24-2014, 01:19 AM
Communications Team Manager
Graphics Team

Thanks for all the news. That's pretty cool about his cowrite being picked for Nail's album and as a second single!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

You're welcome. Yeah, it's a great opportunity for him as a song-writer, I really hope the song will do well.

Here's a review of the song:

Quote:
Single Review: David Nail - Kiss You Tonight

By: Matt Bjorke
Last Updated: February 24, 2014 9:02 AM

With “Kiss You Tonight,” David Nail’s looking to finally break-out with two consecutive hits in a row after “Whatever She’s Got” became his first big hit (and first ‘happy” song to do so). While he’s released critically acclaimed albums in 2009’s I’m About To Come Alive and 2011’s The Sound Of A Million Dreams, Nail’s success with radio has been spotty prior to “Whatever She’s Got” and I’m A Fire. After one listen to “Kiss You Tonight” it seems that Nail should be able to break that stream with a song that’s both contemporary and traditional sounding in melody. It’s a mix of contemporary Country sounds and a bit of the Traditional Rock and traditional Country which should help bolster “Kiss You Tonight”’s chances with radio programmers.

The song isn’t like anything else on radio and in fact reminds me of stuff from Eli Young Band’s stuff which isn’t surprising given that both acts share Frank Liddell as one of their producers. Written by Jay Knowles, Trent Summar and rock singer/songwriter David Cook, “Kiss You Tonight” finds David singing about wanting to be with the former girl in his life to get over the bad things in the world, if he can be with her. It’s not an uncommon theme in Country music’s hits through the years and it should certainly help David Nail here, as he sings about wanting redemption with the lost girl of his dreams.

When you add David Nail’s stellar vocal delivery along with the relatable “I messed up” message, it’s hard to see how this one doesn’t break the up and down streak of David Nail’s career (a similar streak which once afflicted a star like Blake Shelton).

Source
"Rock singer/songwriter David Cook".
Old 03-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

David will play a show with Kris!

Quote:
A Sole-Ful Evening with Kris Allen & David Cook
Tuesday, April 1, 2014 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (CDT)
Nashville, TN

Source
Looks like the show is free but you need to register. You also have to be at least 21 years old.

Wouldn't it be great if they performed something together?

----

If anyone's interested, here's David Nail talking about 'Kiss You Tonight':

ASCAP Audio Portrait: David Nail's I'm a Fire

He mentions listening to the demo, I wonder if DCook sang on it.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

FYI, ^that show with Kris is SOLD OUT!

=====

I fail. I knew about this but somehow it slipped my mind and now it's been over a week already. Well, better late than never, maybe?

David performed at the Songwriters event is at Grand Hall – Fallsview Casino Resort in Niagara Falls, ON on March 8th. He talked about and performed Paper Heart, Heroes, Kiss You Tonight and Fade Into Me. He also performed a new song called Wait For Me! It was written by David and Chad Carlson.

Here's an audio:

Wait For Me (Acoustic) - David Cook (NEW song!) - YouTube

Sounds awesome! So happy to get new music too! I wonder if this will be on the new album. (Speaking of which, I really need to update that thread!)

Here are the videos from the entire event:

Paper Heart:

Paper Heart NF - YouTube
Alternate: David cook paper heart. Fallsview casino. "Paper H - YouTube

"It just goes to tell you that I have no idea what I'm doing up here." xD Amazing performance, his vocals are soaring!

Heroes:

Heroes NF - YouTube

"I proceed to geek out on this guy for 15 minutes. 'I saw you on the show and it was great'." Aw, imagine fanboy David. Love this performance too, man his vocals are out of this world!

Wait For Me:

Wait for Me NF - YouTube

"I was hung over when we wrote this song." The song is seriously so good! He just keeps getting better.

Kiss You Tonight:

Kiss You Tonight (partial) NF - YouTube
The entire intro/song

The backstory for the song is just adorable, aww David. Sooo good to hear the song sung by David again! Cook, you sing it at least as well as Nail.

Fade Into Me/Time Of My Life

Fade Into Me/TOML NF - YouTube

Wow, I didn't know FIM was a DCTR reject. I love how David embraces (for the lack of a better word) the similarities between it and TOML and keeps playing TOML partially, because there as a time when he wouldn't play it at all. Beautiful performance again, I couldn't love his voice more. On both songs.

====

'Kiss You Tonight' featured on Billboard Country:

Quote:
David Nail’s ‘Kiss’ Embraces The Traveling Wilburys’ Sound

Happy anniversary, Roy Orbison.
The late Rock & Roll Hall of Fame member, who was widely praised for his operatic tenor, lived in the Nashville area during much of his life, but he had only one solo hit on the country charts. That song, “You Got It,” was riding in the top 30 on Hot Country Singles exactly 25 years ago on its way to No. 7. One of Orbison’s side projects continues to resonate: The Traveling Wilburys have a distinct influence on the current David Nail single, “Kiss You Tonight.”
The Wilburys’ recordings were marked by layers of rhythm guitar, strummed on the downbeat and upbeat to create a wall of sound. That’s also true of “You Got It,” which Orbison co-wrote with fellow Wilburys Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne, who produced it.
“Kiss You Tonight,” says recording engineer Chuck Ainlay, Nail’s co-producer, “was going for a Traveling Wilburys thing — not specifically, but that kind of feel.”
Ilya Toshinsky played the original acoustic guitar rhythms on Nail’s recording, but that one instrument would become much fatter. After the tracks were laid, electric player Jerry McPherson switched to acoustic, and they cut a couple more passes to yield four to six sets of nylon strings chunking away. It’s a simple stacking technique, but it created a powerful foundation for Nail’s ultimate performance.
“With a singer as great as David is, we just wanted to create a track that would showcase his performance,” says bass player Glenn Worf, who co-produced with Ainlay and Frank Liddell. “He can do the heavy lifting all by himself.”
The straight-eights — as that rhythm pattern has been frequently referred to in Nashville studio circles — were actually the starting point for “Kiss You Tonight.” Former American Idol champ David Cook introduced that hypnotic sound on Dec. 7, 2012, during a songwriting session at Jay Knowles’ office on Nashville’s Music Row. Knowles and Trent Summar have co-written for two decades (they authored Jack Ingram’s acerbic kiss-off “Love You”), and their writing dynamic can be a little jarring to someone who, as Cook was that day, is meeting them for the first time.
“We’re like an old married couple now when we write,” says Summar. “If you were an outsider and didn’t know us, it just sounds like two guys complaining to each other and fighting and not being very nice to each other sometimes.”
Cook dropped his chord pattern and basic melody into the middle of that cauldron, and a musical conversation ensued.

“Trent and I both were kind of enamored with it from the start,” Knowles recalls. “We may have even had that first verse before we knew exactly where it was heading. Once we realized what it’s about, it came together pretty quickly.”
“Kiss You Tonight” finds the singer alone, separated from a woman after a brutal fight. In Knowles’ mind, it’s a temporary spat between a couple, though it’s easily interpreted as a permanent separation. That sort of fluidity was part of the goal.
“When you’re writing a song that turns out pretty good with three different guys, each person has a story from their own past that they’re trying to tell through that song,” Knowles suggests. “It all kind of combines to tell a story that hopefully millions of listeners can have be a part of their story, and that’s really what you’re hoping for.”
Cook sang lead on the day’s work tape, but he was out of town when they recorded the demo, so Summar did his best vocal imitation of Cook at the session, which layered buzzing alternative-rock guitars on top of the acoustic foundation.
They also got a great reception once the demo was completed. Universal Music Publishing Group Nashville vp A&R Ron Stuve excitedly sent it to UMG Nashville vp A&R Joe Fisher, who identified it as an ideal Nail song. Nail was emphatic about “Kiss You Tonight,” which he found to be “sneaky great.”
“There’s nothing about the song that’s rocket science,” he says. “It’s pretty straight ahead, but as someone who has definitely been in the situation of asking somebody to stick with you and be a little patient with you, I was really able to identify with the lyric.”
Nail delivers it with two different attitudes: There’s a pleading, commanding tone in the chorus, but a more conversational aspect to the verses — a result, he says, of its pitch.
“It’s a little low for me,” he observes. “It’s the toughest song I believe I’ve ever had to sing. It was a song I had to go back and sing a whole lot just to feel like I got it to where I wanted to get it.”
Appropriately, they cut the track at Ronnie’s Place, a studio named for previous owner Ronnie Milsap, who bought it in 1978 from Orbison. Worf, McPherson, Toshinsky and drummer Chris McHugh formed a small core that was able to see through the alt-rock façade on the demo and get a more basic sound.
Nail’s original plan was to bring in Eli Young Band frontman Mike Eli to provide backing vocals, though Liddell counseled against it. Two famous guys singing “Kiss You Tonight” created a potentially weird public perception, he reasoned. That problem wouldn’t exist if the backing vocalists were lesser known, and Ainlay enlisted Gene Miller and Chris Rodriguez to layer three parts each in certain places. Additionally, Ainlay used alternate takes by Nail to double his voice on the chorus, creating a large-ensemble sound.
“It’s like a band,” says Ainlay. “Like Wilburys, in a way.”
Eli, meanwhile, is still in the mix for another time.
“I have a good feeling that Mike is going to sing on a David record sooner or later,” says Liddell. “Rather than, ‘Hey, let’s get Mike on this record,’ I think it’s going to have to be the perfect song at the perfect time.”
One other touch was to bring in slide guitarist George Marinelli (Bruce Hornsby & The Range, Bonnie Raitt), who adds a 19-second solo of elongated, burning emotion.
“He’s not your typical session guy in Nashville,” says Ainlay. “He doesn’t come to the studio like his next session’s dependent on what he plays. He’s a rock’n’roller and if you don’t have it on ‘Record’ when he plays his first pass, you’ve blown it, because 95.9 percent of the time his first pass is what we keep, and then we just fix it. He’s amazing that way.”
While the Wilbury influence and Marinelli’s slide frame it well, “Kiss You Tonight” relies as much on Nail’s voice as “You Got It” depended on Orbison. MCA shipped it to radio via Play MPE on Feb. 18. At No. 51, it is the highest-debuting title on the current Country Indicator chart.
“I feel like this is as good as it gets, getting your song sung by somebody like that,” says Summar. “Nail is one of the best singers of this era.”

Source (page 3)
Very interesting to learn more about the writing process!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
American Idol

About the Sole-Ful Evening concert that David will play with Kris next week:

How good does he look? Funny story about his dog Tulsa chewing up his sneakers.

A short mention of the event:

Quote:
'American Idol' champs play free Nashville concert
12:05 a.m. EDT March 24, 2014

Nashville next month for a free concert to help a local non-profit.

"Idol" season seven winner David Cook and season eight champ Kris Allen will share the stage for "A Sole-ful evening with Kris Allen & David Cook" on April 1 at The Bridge Building (2 Victory Ave). The concert will raise funds for the Nashville-based Soles4Souls, an anti-poverty organization that distributes shoes and clothing to those in need.

No more tickets are available for this free show.

Source
Old 03-30-2014, 05:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks so much for all the news, Laura. Which video should I watch first?! Also, yes to a show with Kris and David!