Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Mid-Season TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper1975 (View Post)
So Leonard ends up with a child, just a little different...
Except, no. It will not be Leonard's child. It will be Zack's child. This is not some cute roundabout way the show's came up with for Leonard to get to be a dad. This is a way the show came up with for Zack to be a dad. Surrogates/donors are not the parents.

N i c o l e ~ Tumblr | Podcast | Fanfiction | Twitter
WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:28 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The Big Bang Theory

Besides the issue of everyone viewing Penny in the wrong... I just don't understand what Leonard's motivation is. WHY does he want to do this?

From Penny quoting their argument, it seems like part of his angle is that SOMEONE should have his kid - but who knows how much truth is in there vs just saying something to make Penny angry. (It also feels like lazy writing that we only heard about this fight, and didn't see it.)

Is it because of the money? Is he just being nice? Is he just so flattered he likes the idea and doesn't want to turn them down? Leonard doesn't understand why Penny's against this, but I don't understand why it's so important to him.

The Raj and Anu stuff took an interesting turn. I'm more okay with this than a rushed wedding, but I'm still not in love with them together.
"Keep looking up, after it rains. Keep looking up."
big bang buzz . twitter . tumblr
ennaxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:47 AM
bfm
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaxor (View Post)
Besides the issue of everyone viewing Penny in the wrong... I just don't understand what Leonard's motivation is. WHY does he want to do this?

From Penny quoting their argument, it seems like part of his angle is that SOMEONE should have his kid - but who knows how much truth is in there vs just saying something to make Penny angry. (It also feels like lazy writing that we only heard about this fight, and didn't see it.)

Is it because of the money? Is he just being nice? Is he just so flattered he likes the idea and doesn't want to turn them down? Leonard doesn't understand why Penny's against this, but I don't understand why it's so important to him.

The Raj and Anu stuff took an interesting turn. I'm more okay with this than a rushed wedding, but I'm still not in love with them together.
They seemed to portray Leonard as being focused on helping a couple who wants a kid but can't have them the "regular way", while also being flattered. That is if you go by what was shown and spoken in the episode.
bfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm (View Post)
They seemed to portray Leonard as being focused on helping a couple who wants a kid but can't have them the "regular way", while also being flattered. That is if you go by what was shown and spoken in the episode.
Are you implying Roxanne isn't going by the episode? Because she watched the same ~20 minutes as everyone else. The problem with it is everyone else explicitly gave their thoughts on it and gave their reasons for the way they felt about it - the one person who is closely involved in the situation made no such statement and that gives a lot of ambiguity.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:52 AM
bfm
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Are you implying Roxanne isn't going by the episode? Because she watched the same ~20 minutes as everyone else. The problem with it is everyone else explicitly gave their thoughts on it and gave their reasons for the way they felt about it - the one person who is closely involved in the situation made no such statement and that gives a lot of ambiguity.
Not at all. I'm implying there may be other reasons we weren't shown in this episode. The only reason Leonard gave was helping the couple, which wasn't even stated as "the reason".
bfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm (View Post)
The only reason Leonard gave was helping the couple, which wasn't even stated as "the reason".
Yeah, that's what I took from it. A selfless act of kindness to help an infertile couple have a child, which I think is very sweet. And it doesn't take away anything from Leonard and Penny's relationship.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Fan

I don't think Leonard wanted to be nice. I mean he is a nice guy and always tries to help the others. But in this case I think he was very flattered to be chosen, like he was at the paintball game, and didn't think about the whole situation completely. I agree with Roxanne, there's no reason to make this so important for him.
~Laurence~
soundsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Except, no. It will not be Leonard's child. It will be Zack's child. This is not some cute roundabout way the show's came up with for Leonard to get to be a dad. This is a way the show came up with for Zack to be a dad. Surrogates/donors are not the parents.
I get that. I actually don't want it for Leonard's sake. Even if somehow he has a input on the child's life. Maybe Penny and he would be the "favorite uncle/aunt", and if something happens to Zack and his wife, the child ends up with Leonard.

But regardless, given Leonard's own baggage with his childhood. I don't know how he would want to be a "father" of a kid that he doesn't get to see unless there is some sort of agreement. He hated his mother's parenting, and he has a lot of baggage because of it and I actually think he be would a great parent. Penny too. They haven't really shown us why Penny doesn't want kids. Is the pregnancy aspect or the kids aspect?

Given their parenting Sheldon in the early years.

Almost like they are taking Bernadette's early feelings and transferred it to suddenly to Penny.

I know not everyone wants kids, or has them... I just feel for Leonard.

So I wonder where this story will go...

I felt the storyline is a nod to the beginning of the show. In the pilot episode. Leonard almost sells sperm with Sheldon to gain money, but they chicken out or Sheldon does... So it's a nod to that so I can see Leonard would want to help a family.

But for his sake given he knows the potential parents, why would he want to do it. So I hope we get more a sense as the storyline rolls on.
Jasper1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FileXxX (View Post)
Yeah, that's what I took from it. A selfless act of kindness to help an infertile couple have a child, which I think is very sweet. And it doesn't take away anything from Leonard and Penny's relationship.
I haven't seen the episode yet but from what I know about Leonard it is something Leonard would do. He is a nice and sweet guy who helps people whenever he can.

By the way it's a nice throwback to the Pilot when Sheldon and Leonard went to a sperm bank ready to donate...

~Susanne ~

Last edited by smoguntia; 01-12-2019 at 12:45 PM
smoguntia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:52 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The Big Bang Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgood (View Post)
I don't think Leonard wanted to be nice. I mean he is a nice guy and always tries to help the others. But in this case I think he was very flattered to be chosen, like he was at the paintball game, and didn't think about the whole situation completely. I agree with Roxanne, there's no reason to make this so important for him.
I could see Leonard being open to the idea just to be nice. But yeah, it's the fact that it was somehow so important to him that I don't get.

If a close friend asks this favor, I could see why he'd want to. If they were having serious money problems and needed the cash, I could see the argument. But for Penny's ex - that Leonard was complaining about earlier in the episode - to ask this, and Leonard to be SO for it... I just need more.
"Keep looking up, after it rains. Keep looking up."
big bang buzz . twitter . tumblr
ennaxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:45 PM
Elite Fan

It's odd. Since he was open to doing it in the pilot episode to the series. I can see why Leonard would to do it. Being nice, and helping another family. I can see why Zack would to do it. The potential intelligence the child might get. He apparently is rich, and yet he is presented as pretty dumb.

I am not down on Penny at all. I can see why he would be weirded out about it. I would too. I totally see her side of it, although it's pretty flimsy presented at this moment. I think Leonard wants to simply help a family. We didn't get to see the "big" argument they had about it.

Maybe down deep Penny doesn't like the thought of another woman having Leonard's child. So where does that leave her, to change her mind.

I just don't like it for Leonard because if it's his only hope of a child. Unless there is some kind of agreement to be apart of the baby's life. He's signing away a lot. Since he knows this family.

And added weirdness is Leonard has always been wierded out that Zack is Penny's ex, and added to it they were "married". So it's alll so weird.

I don't know why Zack's wife would do it except it would please Zack and the brillance the kid might get. That is asking a lot to ask your husband's ex-wife's new husband to be the spern donor to your child.

It's all so weird.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper1975 (View Post)
It's odd. Since he was open to doing it in the pilot episode to the series.
It is different when it's anonymous.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Elite Fan

If it was for Amy and Sheldon it would be so different or if Raj and Anu got married and found they are unable to have children. Sometimes knowing the family, it's easier especially if you are able to see said child. Heck even if Stuart and his girlfriend wanted a child, and was unable. I am completely fine...

But being Zack is completely odd. So I am curious where they are going with this storyline. If for some reason it doesn't happen with Zack's wife, and Penny ends up with a surprise pregnancy?

So, I think it is more the couple than if it was annoymous. I agree sighing to be a sperm donor is different if it was a stranger than a known couple. But there couples I think Penny would be totally fine with...

It's just the oddity of it being Zack!

Since Raj and Anu's storyline turned into a pleasant surprise. I have hope for this one, but one never knows.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Passionate Fan

Well, the way the writers are doing it may be weird, but for me it’s pretty obvious the donation storyline is setting up something: Penny will have a change of heart and tell Leonard she wants children. I really see it coming a million miles away.

~Martin~
*luminous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:10 PM
Elite Fan

I had been thinking that I didn't see what the end storyline might be for Leonard and Penny. I don't see what Howard and Bernedette's is either. Raj is obviously meeting Anu, and settling into some sort of successful relationship to his surprise. Sheldon and Amy's is their breakthrough and maybe getting to the point where they start to work on a family.

Now yeah this storyline seems like it's geared towards something happened like Penny's change of heart or a surprise pregnancy. I almost expected it at that last scene where Penny goes and gets the cup. The way she acted, almost like she was going to feel faint and had to throw up or something. Then she comes back with the cup.

So, I am curious. Now that the show knows the show is ending. The are gearing the stories to something. So, I am curious where this goes...
Reply   Post New Thread