Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Moderator Manager

1x03: "WUJING" Episode Discussion Thread (10/07/13 @ 10PM)

1x03 | Wujing
E P I S O D E DISCUSSION T H R E A D

x

episode synopsis
The FBI is on the hunt for a high-ranking Chinese spy, Wujing which Red claims has hired him to help decode a classified CIA transmission. Liz, posing as an FBI cryptographer goes with Red to decode the message while protecting US government secrets. Meanwhile, Liz proactively investigates Tom.

x

Last edited by Miranda; 09-03-2016 at 03:07 AM
One Thing Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Master Fan

Some very notable things happen in this episode:
1. Red has his own hatter.
2. Wujing knew Lucy was of interest to Red.
3. So begins the era of The Apple Eating Man.
4. Red lets Liz actually meet his hatter.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Passionate Fan

To add on..
5. Red showed how far he would go to protect Liz.
6. Donald and Harold still doesn't fully trust Liz.
Stacie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:37 AM
Moderator Manager

I'm watching the ep right now and I'm going to take down notes so I don't forget:
  • It's funny that Red made fun of Donald in this ep when Red came to the FBI to discuss about Wujing.
  • The apple eating man is probably someone Berlin asked to check on Tom?
  • Meera knows Mandarin!
  • ARAM is brilliant!!! And he calls Ressler "Sir."
  • Poor (though not really) Jin Sun. That was Liz' fault.
  • Red to Wujing: "If you kill her, you better kill me. Or I"m going to kill you."
  • Donald got a beating in this ep.
  • And the father theory comes into play, Red saying to Liz "I have you." when she tries to ask him about his connection to her father.
  • Dembe instantly asking Red if everything was okay during their pick-up.
  • Donald & Liz in the end.
  • If anyone wants to know the song playing when Liz sees the ballistic report on the gun she fired that belonged to Tom, it's "Here With Me" by Robot Koch feat. Susie Suh
  • Cooper & Ressler checking up on Liz!
  • The paper Wujing gave to Red says 042983.

Suffice to say this episode was wonderful & intense. Wujing was actually pretty bright for a villain but as always Red is two steps ahead. And I've got some time today so I guess I'll watch ep 4 too.

"Do you know why I admire you Newt?
You do not seek power." - Albus Dumbledore

dw | kh
L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:50 AM
Part-Time Fan

Some thoughts about the episode in no particular order:

Are we sure that the Apple Eating man belongs to Berlin? I think in a later Episode they were saying "At least now we know he doesn't work for Red". If they would work for Berlin, whouldn't they know that Tom work for him too?

At first I thought this was done by the FBI, to check if Liz really is who she said she is.

During the episode I tried to remember from where I know the actor who played Wujing. Still can't remember it, which makes me crazy!

It's intresting how Tom tries to stirr Liz away from the FBI. He doesn't want to be too close to the right side of justice.

Liz really is the one to blame for the death of Jin Sun, why didn't they just try to distract them again? Besides this she was acting great in that sceen.
Ceta_Cea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Red to Wujing: "If you kill her, you better kill me. Or I"m going to kill you."
Yeah that's a lot of killing!

Quote:
And the father theory comes into play, Red saying to Liz "I have you." when she tries to ask him about his connection to her father.
Oh good point, I didn't catch that. But could also be a mislead if her father is dead than Liz is the only connection left between him and Red.

Quote:
Suffice to say this episode was wonderful & intense. Wujing was actually pretty bright for a villain but as always Red is two steps ahead.
Yeah I liked that because if these are criminals that have managed to avoid the FBI to the point where they're not even known about they would have to be smart. It's nice to have a little credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceta_Cea (View Post)
Are we sure that the Apple Eating man belongs to Berlin? I think in a later Episode they were saying "At least now we know he doesn't work for Red". If they would work for Berlin, whouldn't they know that Tom work for him too?
Yeah I'm still vague on this myself. I hoping this answer becomes more clear as we continue on with the rewatch. But it does make sense, Red's big enemy right now is Berlin and that's why he wants that guy gone but I still think it could easily be someone else that Red knows.

Quote:
During the episode I tried to remember from where I know the actor who played Wujing. Still can't remember it, which makes me crazy!
Arrow or Last Resort maybe?
Quote:
It's intresting how Tom tries to stirr Liz away from the FBI. He doesn't want to be too close to the right side of justice.
Yeah that's an interesting point. Obviously knowing what we know now that could be for a lot of reasons-
Tom's real purpose is to keep Liz from getting too close to Red.
Tom wants Liz on his side when this all falls apart.
Tom's there to prevent The FBI from uncovering Berlin at all - since before Red stepped into the picture Berlin was off the grid. Which is an interesting idea because it means Berlin knew Red would go to the FBI. I could see that being a possibility.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:50 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Some thoughts about the episode in no particular order:

No we're not sure, it wasn't implied on the show.

Quote:
I had to google him and I might have seen him on Arrow but I'm forgetting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
Oh good point, I didn't catch that. But could also be a mislead if her father is dead than Liz is the only connection left between him and Red.
I have to agree that it's a mislead.

Quote:
Yeah I liked that because if these are criminals that have managed to avoid the FBI to the point where they're not even known about they would have to be smart. It's nice to have a little credibility.
And Wujing has been there done that. He has lots of goons. These are big time criminals.

dw | kh
Old 06-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Master Fan

Late little aside here but Wujing was probably the season's closest thing to a bottle episode. Most of the action took place in Wujing's little bunker and even when we did branch out - mostly with Ressler - they're weren't any extravagant locations really. I dunno maybe it's because we usually get a lot of exotic or impressive locals that this kinda struck me. Saving money for more of those things in future episodes, maybe?
Old 06-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Moderator Manager

I finally got a chance to rewatch this ep! I am surprised with the way Red was able to completely fool Wujing

The cutting off the guys hand in the opening scene was really gross

Tom was cracking me up the entire time when he kept trying to pry info out of Liz about her job. The first time through I just thought he was a curious, concerned husband. Now the second time through I know he is totally fishing for information to report back to Berlin. I am really glad that Liz did not choose to share with him

Aram was amazing in this ep as usual It was a really good introductory ep for him
Old 06-20-2014, 04:07 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
Late little aside here but Wujing was probably the season's closest thing to a bottle episode. Most of the action took place in Wujing's little bunker and even when we did branch out - mostly with Ressler - they're weren't any extravagant locations really. I dunno maybe it's because we usually get a lot of exotic or impressive locals that this kinda struck me. Saving money for more of those things in future episodes, maybe?
I agree. Like in the Gina Zanetakos ep. That looked a bit expensive than this ep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppi (View Post)
Tom was cracking me up the entire time when he kept trying to pry info out of Liz about her job. The first time through I just thought he was a curious, concerned husband. Now the second time through I know he is totally fishing for information to report back to Berlin. I am really glad that Liz did not choose to share with him
Rewatching the eps now give us a whole new way of looking and noticing things we missed before.

dw | kh
Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Moderator Manager

Yes it does!! I find myself not trusting or liking Tom because I always think he's trying to manipulate Liz

I still love his character though and hope he come back in season 2
Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 AM
Moderator Manager

Me too! I'm like "Oh god, he's such a great actor". All these lies! No wonder Liz cut off his thumb out of rage.

And yes, I like Tom... just not with Liz right now. He has some explaining to do.

dw | kh
Old 06-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Moderator Manager

yeah I am sure that came from a place of rage. Especially after she stuck up for him with everyone. She must have felt so incredibly betrayed.

Tom would really have to do some major explaining followed by a ton of redemption before he could get back with Liz
Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 AM
Moderator Manager

Ditto on the redemption. I'm not closing my door on Tom. If they write a believable redemption arc for him, I'm good with that.

Besides, I believe that they both really loved each other. I don't think Liz is in that place yet to forgive everything that happened because right now I'm sure she wants answers and explanations.

dw | kh
Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Moderator Manager

I'm not ready to write Tom off either. I really want to wait and see what they writers do with his character next season.

I agree - I think it will take Liz quite awhile to forgive Tom, move past everything that happened, and be able to move forward with him towards a future.
Reply   Post New Thread