Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Moderator Manager

1x13: "THE CYPRUS AGENCY" Episode Discussion Thread (01/27/14 @ 10PM)

1x13 | The Cyprus Agency
E P I S O D E DISCUSSION T H R E A D

x

episode synopsis
BABY-SNATCHING FOR ILLEGAL ADOPTION HITS CLOSE TO HOME FOR LIZ - After a recent spate of abductions of babies from their mothers, Red informs Liz that the "Cyprus Agency" is the illegal adoption organization responsible. Coincidentally, Liz and Tom contemplate adoption of their own which fuels Liz to track down the organizations CEO, Owen Mallory.

x

Last edited by Miranda; 09-03-2016 at 04:25 AM
One Thing Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Moderator Manager

This ep is not one of my favorite. The whole idea of imprisoning women in comas so they can pop out kids for adoption just did not appeal to me at all. There was very little plot development and really in my opinion it was the weakest episode of the season.

The main plot development of the ep was the conclusion of the Red/Mole SL and the Tom/Liz/Baby SL.

Honestly I find it odd that Tom was so upset over the baby thing since it was all for a fake marriage. Maybe he was upset because he lost and Red won this round?

More Jolene and Tom interactions in this ep. It does seem like they were maybe starting an affair. And maybe in Jolene’s mind they were, but Tom knows his job and he’s not going to jeopardize it.

I find it interesting that Red would choose to take this agency down. What was his motivation and what did he get out of it? Usually he wants something that the Blacklister knows or has. I find it interesting that he would create this case simply to stop Liz from adopting a child with Tom.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:51 AM
Moderator Manager

• Tom asking Liz (about the adoption): "Are we really doing this?" I have the same question for them too.
  • This adoption agency looks a bit flashy and too modernized which also makes me think it's illegal. Haha.
  • This Red/Meera scene is confusing to me. She says they both want the same thing but why do I feel like Meera isn't clear cut on what her orders really are?
  • Red is warning Liz about Tom and this adoption thing. Liz is 100% sure this time.
  • Meera is snooping around, copies a classified information that Cooper only has access to. I feel like she's been doing this ever since she set foot at this special ops unit.
  • Aram got the lead on Mallory. Awesome work from him again!
  • Liz had a realization about adopting after hearing Mallory's parents talk about not being ready adopting a child.
  • LOL, Red knows a young narcotics dealer in Cleveland.
  • Ugh, this is horrible & creepy. Liz finds a room full of women with a dextrose.
  • Another sob family story with Michael Shaw. It hurts what happened to him but still doesn't give him an excuse to get back at his foster parents.
  • This is sick. The kids are all Michael's.
  • Liz tells Tom she doesn't want to go through with the adoption because she feels that there is something not right with them.
  • So Diane is the mole and she just ordered Meera to carry out her dirty work for her?
  • Diane knows what happened to Red's family! But why?
  • Last few scenes shows us Tom meeting up with Jolene and probably telling her what happened with Liz.
  • Cooper makes a realization about Red. He doesn't like it but realizes that Red has been very helpful to them.

I can't believe I've forgotten most of what this ep was about, I feel like watching it for the first time. In the dying minutes of the ep, Mr. Kaplan is called by Red again. Makes me wonder if Red only selects the criminals that needs to be "cleaned up" so that it won't be traced back to him. In terms of story progression, this ep had none. It did show us what we knew all along: that the Keens were not going to push through with this adoption. I'm not exactly sure why this agency is part of the Blacklist but it's timely since Liz & Tom were also adopting.

"Do you know why I admire you Newt?
You do not seek power." - Albus Dumbledore

dw | kh
L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Tom asking Liz (about the adoption): "Are we really doing this?" I have the same question for them too.
Same -____-

I have to say I think this ended up being one of the most creepy concepts from season one probably because it was -to me at least- one of the most believable. With couples so desperate to have children these days - especially healthy babies - I can see why the criminal element would turn to kidnapping to achieve this.

There were also some heavy farming parallels that added to the horror of the episode.

And I did like the way they tied in the personal storyline of Tom/Liz and wanting a baby into the The Blacklister of the week bit. Liz was on both sides of the same need-give relationship.

Quote:
Diane knows what happened to Red's family! But why?
Yeah this bit was a bit shocking to me, even upon rewatch. I'm a little confused as to what the implication was here. Was she secretly involved in this or... ?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 AM
Moderator Manager

I wonder (after re-watching Madeline Pratt) if the reason Red's family is dead is because Diane has something to do with it? It might be a far stretch but why does she know what happened to his family? Diane seems to be a bit surprised but not shocked to see Red at her house.

Jolene's target is Tom so it's believable why she's making an effort to be friendly towards him and doesn't even care if he's married. Sometimes I think Tom doesn't know who she really is.

"Do you know why I admire you Newt?
You do not seek power." - Albus Dumbledore

dw | kh
L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Moderator Manager

Yes I agree - I think Diane must have been involved in their plight or in the organization that was responsible for what happened to them.

That should tell Red that whoever is responsible some how has connections to Diane
Old 05-30-2015, 06:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
The Blacklist

I updated this OP as well and for now only one episode poster left for episode 14.

This one was a great episode for Meera. I loved how she was working with Red and how he let her. I'm sure he knew that she was okay, that she was just being played and that she got orders which she had to follow.

Besides, that was the breaking point in the marriage of Liz and Tom if you ask me. I'm still beyond happy that they didn't go along with adopting that child.
Lauren Helen Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:49 PM
Moderator Manager

thanks for updating the OP Kris
Old 05-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
The Blacklist

Thanks for updating the OP Kris.

This episode was definitely a breaking point for Tom and Liz. I was so glad that she finally saw it wasn't a good idea for them to adopt. Cause if they did it would have made everything so much worse. You think if Liz hadn't said anything Tom would have gone through with the adoption?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
The Blacklist

x
Old 07-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
The Blacklist

The OP was updated again

Oh man... Can you imagine me in front of my tv when this episode aired, kind of begging and praying for Liz to stop the adoption process. When she did in the end I could have cried out of joy I was so happy, finally one thing that she did right, one right decision.

Man, how fierce she was fighting Red about it... She really wanted it, I'm sure of that and she loved Tom (at least the one she got to know) and she wanted a family but the talk to the old couple I think showed her that it wasn't the right time. Not at this moment and it wasn't and I'm really not able to imagine what it would have been like would she have gone through with it
Old 07-29-2015, 12:23 AM
Moderator Manager

this episode was sooooo creepy!! All those women being put into a deep sleep while they carried and birthed babies It was truly sick
Old 07-30-2015, 12:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
The Blacklist

This was a creepy episode I agree. I don't understand how people can do something like this. Make woman pregnant and keep the in a coma. I get why Red gave this case to Liz and I am glad he did. This made her doubt her own adoption process with Tom and I am glad she did too. It wouldn't have been good for the both of them if they would have had a child.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
The Blacklist

That episode indeed was super creepy I really started wondering if that's something people do in the world. I somehow think people are capable of everything.

But yeah, I'm sure this case really only was brought to the task force to make Liz rethink the adoption. I could never see another deeper sense in it, or a connection to the big mythology of the show. It just was a means to an end and it worked. And yes, I'm glad it did because this situation would have been so messed up had they adpoted a child
Old 08-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
The Blacklist

Some people are really capable of anything. There are a lot of sick and twisted people in the world.

Yes that is the only reason why Red brought this case to Liz. If she would have adopted she would have been tied to Tom forever.
Reply   Post New Thread